• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

How to Ship a Rifle in 2021?

LDHunter

Ok guys and gals... I've sold a rifle to someone in another state and need to ship it.

I don't care whether I ship it via UPS, FedEx or USPS but want to know which is the cheapest and which is the least hassle.

I found this on the UPS website.

And here's what I just found on the FedEx website.

And here's the USPS website page.

After looking at all three websites it appears that UPS is the easiest and I've shipped some ammo at my local UPS Transfer Facility and the counter help there is savvy and they don't seem offended by shipping ammo.

What is y'alls experience and recommendations please?

OH... And one more thing. Should I have a copy of the FFL license in hand to show the shipper? Do they have some way to verify the address is in fact an FFL licensee?

Ups or fedex ground is easy. Put whatever paperwork you want the buyer /FFL to have in the box. You don't need to show ups/Fedex the FFL paperwork and it's not up to them to verify the address is a FFL, that's on you. Communicate with the FFL if you want to verify if they are the FFL that you are shipping to. I just sold a rifle to a guy in another state and I talked to the FFL to let them know it was coming and once I shipped it, I sent the tracking info to the buyer. Pretty easy stuff.

I haven't done it in a while, but I've used USPS in the past. The first time I did it, it was a hassle once I told them it was a firearm; they immediately said I couldn't ship it. I explained to them that I could, according to their policies. After a few minutes they agreed, and the rifle was shipped. That was the last time I told them what was in the box, and I haven't had any trouble with shipping rifles/shotguns since.

I just went through the ringer with ups this past week as they wouldn't touch it unless I had an ffl. So I went across the street to fedex and although they gave me the run around and made a big stink about it being a firearm I was able to ship it out. USPS up until the dawn of the dreaded "vid" was my go to for years and years.

Ok guys and gals... I've sold a rifle to someone in another state and need to ship it.

I don't care whether I ship it via UPS, FedEx or USPS but want to know which is the cheapest and which is the least hassle.

I found this on the UPS website.

And here's what I just found on the FedEx website.

And here's the USPS website page.

After looking at all three websites it appears that UPS is the easiest and I've shipped some ammo at my local UPS Transfer Facility and the counter help there is savvy and they don't seem offended by shipping ammo.

What is y'alls experience and recommendations please?

OH... And one more thing. Should I have a copy of the FFL license in hand to show the shipper? Do they have some way to verify the address is in fact an FFL licensee?
I know it's overkill but I've found that it is easiest to just deliver the firearm to my local FFL and leave it to them to ship. I have the buyer ship his contact and his FFL info to my local FFL and bingo all done. I pay my FFL's fee as it's my choice to go thru him to do the transfer to simply the transaction. I figure that they have sold thousands of guns over the decades and probably much more knowledgeable than I. Plus my local UPS hub is only open for packages 1630-1730 some business hours huh!

UPS hub has been the best for me. No hassle, they do ask to make sure it's unloaded, but that's the only "hassle" they have ever given me.

Make sure the receiving FFL will accept from an individual. ALWAYS include the buyer's contact info. FFLs hate getting mystery firearms. Also include a copy of your DL with current address and contact info.

I have good luck with FedEx. As mentioned, you need to supply a copy of your Divers License so the receiving FFL and can do a transfer. My experience anyway.

USPS is the cheapest bar none!!!!!!! Box it up, walk up to the counter with a shipping label on it and your in and out depending on the line in about 3min. I mailed out at least 9 rifles last year and 1 this year. UPS prices are nuts along with Fedex, alot of UPS store won't ship any gun parts or scopes.

Recent Posts