• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Rules, Law, and how to on shipping rifles

trader388

What are the rules and laws regarding shipping rifles? And who can you ship them threw? (Fedex, UPS, USPS, dealer)

Dealer to private party is always to another FFL if I understand correctly.

Private party to private party may be another story?

There are State and Federal laws. Best to go to the State firearms law sites and get the info then visit the BATF site for Federal. If something goes wrong or is incorrect you'll be the responsible party no matter where you gleaned the info, best get the laws and such straight from the Official sites.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17

Dave - Section B pretty much answers any questions I had. Thanks!

smile.gif

Let me just say this. There is the LAW, and then there are the shipping companies POLICIES but who you ultimately have to deal with are the idiots at their counters that do not know EITHER. If this sounds a bit acrid its because I have done this many times and gotten totally different reponses from each visit and had them waste copious quantities of my time. Some bitch about UPS, others Fedex and theirs no way I'm taking a gun to the post office. Personally I think all the shipping companies suck with Fedex sucking a little less than the others (and way cheaper too). If you want to do this the most hassle-free manner and you if you want to make sure the shipping insurance you buy actually means something..... go FFL to FFL.
They handle all the paperwork and you do not have to worry about some other states laws or your buyers background and a host of other things that could come back to bite you. Good luck

one other thing....I know the link you referred to says that within the state is ok between non-ffl holders....while this is true, UPS or FEDEX will not take it if its not at least going-to an FFL/dealer.

Recent Posts