How to put a tactical bolt on a rem 700?

heathbaker

I have a remington sps tactical that I am wanting to put a tactical bolt knob on. Have no idea how to do so and was looking to gain some info on what I need and how its done. Thanks

You really should send it out to get done. Here is a quick rundown on whats involved.
Cut bolt knob off. Drill out center of bilt handle and install hardened threaded insert to strengthen handle. Contour outside of handle and tap it for new bolt knob. Apply thread sealer and install bolt knob.
Honestly you should check out Short Action Customs, They do all types of bolt knob conversions for about $100.00. Mark does excelent work.

I offer the service of installing tactical bolt knobs on Remington bolts. Here is a few photos I took of how I install a knob.

Prior to turning knob down
BoltKnobPrep1.jpg

Factory knob turned down to 5/16" diameter
BoltKnobPrep2.jpg

Single point threaded
BoltKnobPrep3.jpg

KMW Grenade style knob installed
BoltKnobPrep4.jpg

Bolt in rifle
BoltKnobKMWstyle.jpg

Here's a Badger Knob that I installed and polished
DaleThompson300UltraMag5.jpg

Here's another Badger knob that was left with the black anodized finish
BadgerBoltKnob.jpg

moz-screenshot-6.png
moz-screenshot-7.png

Here's a customer designed knob I made
IMG_0116.jpg

The easiest way to put a tactical knob on a bolt is to send it to GA Precision in KC, MO. One word of caution when installing a large knob on a factory bolt is that they are too close to the trigger for someone with larger hands. I understand GA Precision will now install a complete bolt handle that is straight and not slanted back which is probably a better way to go. No idea what it cost, but it may be listed on their website.

Heathbaker,

$50 pus the cost of the bolt knob. Which rubber cone knob are you referring to? Installing a Badger knob extends the length slightly but doesn't put the knob any closer to the trigger.

I have two Badger Ordinance Knobs and I'm going to remove both and install something a little smaller because my trigger finger comes in contact with the knob when I shoot. I think a smaller diameter knob will probably fix the problem since Badger Knobs are so large.

I was looking at the badger ordnance knob but ran across a EGW knob that was a bit cheeper but looked to be the same. I may go with the EGW. I got a wild hair lastnight after an american honey and coke painted an old hogue stock I had lying around... turned out pretty snazzy if I may say so I splapped it on my tactical... a tactical bolt knob would really set it off. Who does it for $50? ... a gunsmith in springfield, mo said he would do it for 100..." but he said he wasnt too sure how to do it"...needless to say im not taking it to him. Below is a pic of my rifle after i painted it. Not a great pic but I will put up more when I get my nikon camera back.
205798_514226240688_135700757_30491520_7177317_n.jpg

Heatbaker,

I do it for $50 plus the cost of knob. I own and operate Montour County Rifles, I'm a sponsor here on LRH. Montour County Rifles If you supply the knob it's only $50 plus the return shipping. Earlier in the thread I posted some photos of my set up I made to put bolt knobs on. If you have any questions please feel free to ask or shoot me an e-mail.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.