Reaming a Rem 700 bolt race way to .715"

James Jones

I was digging through my stuff and came accross a reamer that I had tried to rig into a race way reamer and abandoned the idea.

Anyway , I was looking at the Dave Manson accurizing stuff in the Brownells book and saw that it uses a .715" reamer to ream the bolt race way. I know that the common practice is to ream it to .705 and get the PTG bolt to fit it. I measured a 5 actions I have at the house and all of them measured between .703"-.705" and one measured .708" , all are bone stock , so that got me to wondering if it woulden't be better to ream them to .715" instead.

does anybody know if PTG will make a .715" bolt for the rem 700's or will I have to sleeve the one I have?

any of you guys have any experiance with this or have any thoughts??

PTG can grind a bolt to any diameter you want. I have never seen a Rem that large before. Most are barely .703 or less. I would also recommend getting your reamer from PTG. Dave Kiff is a great guy and makes the reamers that Greg Tannel sells (gre-tan).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts