How important is truing threads on a rem 700 action?

Regarding holding the front and rear, what if you use small brass heads so there is a bit of pivoting? could that help avoid bending? I use a piece of wire around the barrel shank when machining for that reason and it's never slipped

I definitely can't make things to JGS tolerances :) Raises the question, do we want something harder than the raceways put in there? Would aluminum or brass work?
Precision tooling isn't soft, brass and aluminum will conform to the raceway and will raise burs throwing it of.
Remember that most guys are dialing in to .0002, most less:rolleyes: so if your going to dial that tight you better have set up tooling that are inside that spec or your not dialing anything in to what your saying!! Putting tooling on a granite plate and using correct inspection methods will shoot a LOT of ideas down!!

What ever you use if you are on the rear and the front you'll have to slip two sets of contact points to get an adjustment, you can only pivot one direction at a time so you have to force it and if you do that the rear ends up moving out of alignment with the front.

Using wire works but it's always moving till it flattens out so your constantly tuning your dialing. When you snub up and try to move the barrel on the tail stock end you have to push it, if your pushing it your deflection it and putting stress in the barrel that will come out when you spin up.

Goodness! If the Remington 700 action is so poorly made that it has to be reworked basically from scratch, why not buy a better action. Bolt lift, bad threads, weak extractor and such are interesting and a great source of revenue for gunsmiths. I am not concerned with all of that as I just use a standard unmodified action (Savage, Ruger or Remington) and put my effort into the quality of the barrel and chamber. I set the headspace using the Savage barrel nut system on my actions and find that resolves all the issues. A great barrel-chamber, properly headspace and attached to an action that is securely held in a rigid stock works great. Just my two cents.

700 Remington actions are like small block Chevys... Stock they both shoot/run ok. Square em up/blueprint em, They'll outshoot/outrun EVERYBODY in town;)
o93GIe.jpg

WWe56U.jpg

Come on, some of us die hard Olds guys don't exactly agree lol!! Sorry about the hijack, carry on.

Goodness! If the Remington 700 action is so poorly made that it has to be reworked basically from scratch, why not buy a better action. Bolt lift, bad threads, weak extractor and such are interesting and a great source of revenue for gunsmiths. I am not concerned with all of that as I just use a standard unmodified action (Savage, Ruger or Remington) and put my effort into the quality of the barrel and chamber. I set the headspace using the Savage barrel nut system on my actions and find that resolves all the issues. A great barrel-chamber, properly headspace and attached to an action that is securely held in a rigid stock works great. Just my two cents.
They aren't poorly made, we are just trying to pull every bit of performance out of them. Plus, we are always comparing them to customs. I don't see a problem with bolt lift. Ive Had two weak extractors out of lots of 700s. One was my fault for mixing up the bolts while cerakoting 3 setups. Lots of wind to say rems aren't poorly made :)

For you guys, like JE and bigngreen, do you think there are advantages/disadvantages pros/cons to single point truing VS using a tap? Hopefully I stated that correctly and you know what I mean.

Single point truing,referenceing off the bolt raceway is more inline and concentric than using a tap,which will follow existing threads.

To truly get all the precision out of a blueprinted Rem 700 action:
1) True up raceway to a consistent size <.7035>
2) Insert a hardened ground mandrel <.703>
3) Dial in mandrel within .0002" front to back approximately 6" spread
4) Single point threads to 1.060 +.010"
5) Face cut action square
6) Face cut bolt lug face
7) Lap threads with 220 then 320 grit to full contact
8) Bolt face squared
9) Bolt lugs lapped to receiver

I shoot a 6XC Bartlien barrel M24 contour 1:7 twist 28"
39.4 gr H4350 behind 115 DTAC
.5"- 5 shoot group@300yds

There are a few different videos of trueing a Rem 700 out there. I believe Kevin Cram w/Montour County Rifles did a few different videos on his process.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.