How important is blueprinting?

el matador

Up there in the Basics forum I mentioned a Remington that I may get rebarreled. I know it's fairly common to have the smith true up everything on the action before installing a shiny new barrel, but how crucial of a step is this? What kind of accuracy are we talking about here...an extra 1/4 moa? 1/8? This is a hunting rifle which I would like to get shooting 1/2-3/4 moa consistently. Is it worth the extra bucks to throw down on squaring the action or will a new barrel get me where I need by itself?

Up there in the Basics forum I mentioned a Remington that I may get rebarreled. I know it's fairly common to have the smith true up everything on the action before installing a shiny new barrel, but how crucial of a step is this? What kind of accuracy are we talking about here...an extra 1/4 moa? 1/8? This is a hunting rifle which I would like to get shooting 1/2-3/4 moa consistently. Is it worth the extra bucks to throw down on squaring the action or will a new barrel get me where I need by itself?

This is just my opinion, but an accurate rifle is the combination of all good parts and components. Any one of these parts or components can hurt accuracy if not done correctly.

To give you an amount of accuracy loss is impossible because there are so many reasons for a poor shooting firearm.

Sometimes poorly machined parts can cancel each other out, but most of the time they only compound the problem.

Example; You can have a perfectly machined barreled action with a custom barrel of the finest quality
and If it is placed in a poor fitting stock or fed poor ammunition It still won,t shoot well.

The best approach I have found is to use the best barrels, blueprint the action, Install a good quality stock with pillar bedding and then start working on the ammo/loads to get extreme accuracy.

I have found that if you have all of this done correctly the firearm seems to be very forgiving, repeatable and will be very accurate if fed good ammo.

It is much better to eliminate questions about what you should have done in the beginning by doing
it right the first time In my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

JE Custom, do you have a feel for how many actions come to you, square with the world? How about the custom actions out there?

JE Custom, do you have a feel for how many actions come to you, square with the world? How about the custom actions out there?

I have yet to find one that didn't need something. (Even the custom actions).

The two actions that I have found to be near perfect and needed very little work is most of the
custom actions and the Mark 5 Weatherby.

Custom actions should always be perfect or near perfect but they use the same machinery to build
them as the factory builders do and the only real difference between them is the Quality control of
the custom action builders.

Does that little bit of quality loss mean anything to accuracy? I don't know the answer to that but
as perfect as you can make them does seem to make a difference, At least in my mind. Straight, true, square and well fit always eliminates doubt.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the input. Sounds like if you're going to rebarrel it isn't worth the risk of leaving the action alone. After all, the main purpose of rebarreling is to gain accuracy.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like if you're going to rebarrel it isn't worth the risk of leaving the action alone. After all, the main purpose of rebarreling is to gain accuracy.

Exactly !!!

If you do everything to make it near perfect you don't second guess what you should have done
while working up loads if it doesn't shoot as well as you wanted.

To make a rifle shoot well It is simply the process of elimination. So you start with the things that can be eliminated in the beginning.

A quality blue print/Truing + a quality barrel can/will shoot well if installed in a good pillar bedded stock, good rings, bases and scopes, and fed quality ammo.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts