How to pick out a barrel???

GetReel

Hey guys... I have a Remington 700VS in 22-250 and its a heavy barrel, I want to drop it in a new XLR Industries chassis and put a different barrel on it, one that is lighter. I don't want that big heavy barrel. I would prefer a lighter contour barrel.

My question is, How do I go about picking out a different barrel? how do I decide what company or style etc.... a little help for a noob would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

What I do is decide what weight bullet I want to shoot. Then I simply call the barrel maker of my choice. I've used a few, all that are recommended on this site are good. My last one was a hart. Just called told them what weight bullet I was gonna shoot and what my goal for the gun is and they made the recommendations for what contour and twist. Been very happy.

What I do is decide what weight bullet I want to shoot. Then I simply call the barrel maker of my choice. I've used a few, all that are recommended on this site are good. My last one was a hart. Just called told them what weight bullet I was gonna shoot and what my goal for the gun is and they made the recommendations for what contour and twist. Been very happy.
Everything he said!!!!!

So you guys are suggesting that he ask experts?
Lol, what fun is that ?

I've asked my gunsmiths opinion. But I trust him completely.

But you can probably knock pounds off your rig with a light weight stock vs a chassis.
If you already have the chassis, of course that's different. When I got serious about LRH I swapped out my chassis for weight reasons. Just a thought -- a financially troubling one at that !

Hey guys... I have a Remington 700VS in 22-250 and its a heavy barrel, I want to drop it in a new XLR Industries chassis and put a different barrel on it, one that is lighter. I don't want that big heavy barrel. I would prefer a lighter contour barrel.

My question is, How do I go about picking out a different barrel? how do I decide what company or style etc.... a little help for a noob would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have pretty good gunsmith that does my work and he does get a discount on barrels/parts vs what you would pay so he's making off the parts. If this is your first build there some good gunsmith that post here could help you out.

If you call Hart on a barrel they do chamber work and if you called Kreiger they chamber also. I just as soon deal with one person for the whole project and if there problem with barrel/stock which can happen gunsmith take care of it.

I just don't tell gunsmith here build me a rifle. I have clear understand on what's being build and like on my 280AI I had it throated for some of the longer VLD and he wanted some dummy rd for that. One thing I don't do is build rifle to shoot every bullet made so I kind of narrow that down.

Well good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.