How to fireform

Limbic

How do most folks fireform their brass? I don't have a ackley or anything I just wanted to fire form some Winchester brass without using up a bunch of bullets and powder and barrel life ect. TIA
7mm Remington mag

DO a search on COW (cream of wheat) or corn meal method.

Generally its a: non magnum primer, a little Unique (I can't say how much for the 7 Mag.) a case full of corn meal, a wad of one square of TP.

Don't let the barrel get too hot.

However, I don't think this method will be all that much of an improvement over what you are doing. Just shoot the bullets at something important.

Even the COW method still needs a "real" round to get the sharp corners (finish the job, so to speak). But the fire forming loads are usually just as accurate as the fully formed loads.

FWIW.....

Roys got it, unless your moving alot of brass around, (making sharp shoulders or moving the shoulder foreward, or removing body taper) not really any point in FF'ing.
RR

I know of three methods:

1. Just shoot the round with a 7/8 load with the bullet jammed into the rifling about .010.

2. Use pistol powder and cream of wheat as described above. I don't recomend this method with the barrel your are using to hunt or target shoot with. This is why one should save their old shot out barrels.

3. Get a Hydrolic forming die. Hornady makes them. Takes months to get one.
They use a case filled with water and a plunger and a hammer. No barrel wear involved. If you use spent primers no cost involved other than time. Produces great formed brass. Die cost about $160.00

Nat Lambeth

Very simple to do I have done many thousands this way and know of a Builder and HOF shooter who has done them this way for 20 years.

Fill case 3/4 with Bullseye---stuff in a little bit of a cotton ball and shoot into the air. Perfect cases everytime, done this making 6ppc all the way to the 338 Slowpoke which starts as a 338 Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.