How to determine Size of Scope Rings needed?

It all depends on your application. There are a few measurements that need to be taken. Here are some in no particular order:

The scope's objective bell outside diameter (no not 40mm or 50mm, the outside diameter including the housing) if you use flip ups add the thickness of the also

The scope's tube diameter (1" or 30mm)

The height of the mount

With these numbers you can figure out how high of a ring you will need to allow the objective to clear the barrel.

Brownell's has a good chart on this
How to Determine the Ring Height You Need

They also have a video using clay to determine ring + mount height:
Determining Scope Ring Height

The top chart does not take into account hammers, charging bars, or other mechanical devices that may require a higher than usual scope mount/ring combo. Some receivers are too short or the scope needs to be set further forward in which case an offset ring is needed.

The closer you can have your scope mounted to the barrel the better,.. just be sure it won't interfear with things like round ejection, or the throw travel of the bolt handle (if bolt action), etc.

I have a 56mm objective on my 7 mag and the bell of the objective lens set's about 3/16 of an inch above the barrel right over the area that the old iron sights used to be. ( had to remove them from the barrel on my 700 BDL)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.