How tight to tighten Night Force rings?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Warren Barrett, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Warren Barrett

Warren Barrett Well-Known Member

I`m in the process of mounting a scope on the new longrange rifle that Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles) has just built me. I`m in question as to how tight to tighten the Night Force rings onto the rail. Do any of you know the correct tightness?
    thanks, Warren Barrett

2. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

The spec for Badger rings which are similar to Nightforce units is:
    ..large 1/2 nut on side of each ring - 65 in.-lb
    ..4 small screws on top of ring halves - 15 in-lbs
    ian

3. Warren Barrett

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

4. Warren Barrett

Ian, I`ve looked for a torque wrench that will go as low as 15in. pds., and as high as 65in. pds., but so far I haven`t found one with this range. The operating ranges may start as low as the lower # but will not go as high as the higher number, or the other way around, and that is have the higher # on it ,but not go as low as the lower #. I`m gonna look around some more, but if you know of one that will operate in these ranges, please give me some information on it. I`m hoping to just have to purchase one instead of two.
    thanks, Warren Barrett.

5. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Warren,
    I do not know of a tool that will torque through that range, there might be one and hoepefully someone on this board can advise.
    I bit the bullet and bought a 65-80 inch-lb Sekonk from Badger Ordnance ("T"-handled, goes 65 on and 80 off so you can remove the nut) and a torqure screwdriver from MAC tools. I use these tools enough to justify them but they are pretty expensive toys.
    Good luck.
    ian

6. Warren Barrett

Ian, I`ve been needing to invest in a torque wrench just for the purpose of tightening action screws and scope rings for a while now. Since "the new toy" has arrived, I`ve desided to go ahead and purchase one. It looks as though it will take two of them to torque to those numbers as I see that is what you had to do also. Thanks for your help.
    Happy Thanksgiving, Warren.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Snap-on makes a terrific torque meter that is a 3/8 drive with a working range from
    0 to 125 inch lbs. It is much easier to use than a click type wrench and holds a very fine calibration for a long time. Mine is 12 years old and has yet to go out of calibration.

8. kidcoltoutlaw

kidcoltoutlaw Well-Known Member

0 to 75 got it a brownells,thanks,keith

9. Kanab

Kanab Active Member

65 inch pounds is the correct spec for the Nightforce ring cross bolts.

I haven't seen one, but I am told the Makita tool stores have adjustable inch pound torque wrenches for a decent price (under $50 as I recall?)