How to cook a grouse or rabbit while packpacking?

Elkwonder

I will be returning to wyoming this elk season, and am ready for the most part. One thing that I have yet to figure out is since we will be backpackhunting this time, instead of haveing a large base camp, how do we cook the grouse and rabbits that we usually shoot while on the hunt. I would like to cook them over the open fire, but am unsure of the lightest thing to pack in to cook them over the flame. I guess I need like a heavy duty aluminum or stainless shiskobob stick or something. Does anyone have anything specific that they pack along with them for this?

I will be returning to wyoming this elk season, and am ready for the most part. One thing that I have yet to figure out is since we will be backpackhunting this time, instead of haveing a large base camp, how do we cook the grouse and rabbits that we usually shoot while on the hunt. I would like to cook them over the open fire, but am unsure of the lightest thing to pack in to cook them over the flame. I guess I need like a heavy duty aluminum or stainless shiskobob stick or something. Does anyone have anything specific that they pack along with them for this?

What I like is to Carry a doubled Zip lock bag with some Fiesta Fajita seasoning for a dry rub
(It is lighter than a jar) and after skinning sprinkle some on the fresh meat and allow it to set
a little while.

Find a willow,Aspen or an Alder with small limbs(Green) scrape the bark off with your knife
and "slow" roast it over an open fire.

If done right it has a wonderful flavor and will be tender, And as they say will make you slap
grandma.

I also carry a dry bread or biscuit mix and cook it the same way. (Without the fajita seasoning).

Lots of carbs and protein.

J E CUSTOM

I carry a little fold up pan/skillet and a pound of sausage. We always bump of grouse and we have top Roman so I start the sausage then add the grouse and some Roman seasoning then dump it all on a bed of Ramen.

We did grouse on skewers and they came out good. I was actually very pleasantly surprised how good it was. At home we just wrap them in bacon but in the field bacon was not an option. We take some fresh jalapenos with us too, just in case the food is not quite as good as we hoped, jalapenos help kill the senses of game taste.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.