How Often Do You Hunt Big Game Out Of State?

How Often Do You Hunt Big Game Out Of State?

• Never so far, looking forward to it, though!

Votes: 531 38.4%
  • Once every 5 years.

Votes: 190 13.7%
  • About once every couple of years, my wife is great!

Votes: 332 24.0%
  • At least once every year, I am not married!

Votes: 331 23.9%

• Total voters
Married. Been hunting Nebraska-Furnas County-last 12 years. Best trophy-161 whitetail, mainframe 10, 300 lbs. Kansas ain't got nothing on us.:)

i live in SD and this will be my 4th deer hunting season. didn't draw for elk :( my wife told me "I want you to apply for as many tags as you can! i like getting all that meat!" to which i reply, "YES MA'AM"! lol i want to hunt out of state but i have never had that much money in my life and i most definitely don't have any connections. i will also hopefully hunt antelope in SD this year for the first time.

Boy did she leave the door open! Take advantage of that as much as you can before it closes, LOL!

oh i know right?! i'm getting a new rifle and scope this year and i'd love to score some different big game next year! but how do i get her to allow me to take my stuff to the taxidermist? hmmm

I goy a kitchen pass next week and one in november. Antelope then muley in colo. Two in one year is rare. I have more trouble drawing tags than with the wife. Heck I was gone the better part of four months one year on the rodeo circuit. She wasn't to tickled, but stuck it out.

I'm not entirely sure if it counts but every year since i have joined the Marines i have hunted in at least 2 states. this year i will be sliding in 2 days before deer season. not much time to scout but i got a couple of deer stands set up on my property and always manage to kill a couple deer from them every year. I'm glad the Marine Corps decided to pay for me to go home to Illinois this year for deer season from AFGHANISTAN!

Hello,

I have never gone hunting...I am thinking of purchasing 2 rifles 1 for me and 1 for my 18 year old son. We are aware knowing where the placement of the shot is important when hunting. Which is why my son believes we should sign up for a long range precision target shooting course. We will probably get help there on hunting right? Well I am not to sure, so your help is needed.
1. Is there a course for hunting in the North Eastern region, MA, NJ, VA, PA, we live in NY, we are willing to travel to respect and learn HOW to shoot and do it safely to not harm other hunters.

We have been reading and recently came across the .338 caliber for taking down large game.
The problem we are having is understanding the functions of all the .338 ammunition. Yet which .338 ammunition will do the mercy killing efficiently with minimal suffering to the prey. We need to know about the ammunition before selecting the rifles.
2. Is there a web site that explains the different .338 ammunition in production? Or a good reading reference on the .338 ammunition?

I am leaning for my first game hunt to be wild (hog) boar outside of NY. I will eventually go for larger prey!

Any insight and information you provide to us, being that we new to the hunting community, we be honored and respected. Thank you! To all!

Hello,

I have never gone hunting...I am thinking of purchasing 2 rifles 1 for me and 1 for my 18 year old son. We are aware knowing where the placement of the shot is important when hunting. Which is why my son believes we should sign up for a long range precision target shooting course. We will probably get help there on hunting right? Well I am not to sure, so your help is needed.
1. Is there a course for hunting in the North Eastern region, MA, NJ, VA, PA, we live in NY, we are willing to travel to respect and learn HOW to shoot and do it safely to not harm other hunters.

We have been reading and recently came across the .338 caliber for taking down large game.
The problem we are having is understanding the functions of all the .338 ammunition. Yet which .338 ammunition will do the mercy killing efficiently with minimal suffering to the prey. We need to know about the ammunition before selecting the rifles.
2. Is there a web site that explains the different .338 ammunition in production? Or a good reading reference on the .338 ammunition?

I am leaning for my first game hunt to be wild (hog) boar outside of NY. I will eventually go for larger prey!

Any insight and information you provide to us, being that we new to the hunting community, we be honored and respected. Thank you! To all!

Most hunter safety courses will teach you the basics, so that's where I personally would start. In my opinion for what you will be doing, the .338 cal may be a little much. I probably wouldn't start with anything over the .300 Win Mag.

Good luck!

I had that problem with the first wife, traded that one in on a ackley improved model and things have been good since then. Just wish I could figure out how to do that with my Job!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.