How often do you disassemble bolt?

Zerk

Shot about 200 rounds this year with 3 30-06. Usually do 20-60. Handloading now.

I have only just sprayed the bolt and wiped it down. Never had one apart. Should be doing more?

The question comes up because last year and now this year my Savage has 3 fails to fire. Not sure the last 2, I put them back in and shot, factory Corelocts. This year I say dented primer. This year a WLR.

This gun is not my 2nd back up. MK85 is first, it has been shooting well.

Should I be taking bolt apart? Heavier lube then just spray oil?

My main gun this year is Rem 760 pump, same question. I had the barrel off and sprayed and wiped it's bolt.

Thanks.

Since it is a Savage, bolt takedown is easy. I just use carb cleaner to get the crud off and a dry-lube if I am going to hunt in cold weather....also check your bolt head retaining pin and firing pin protrusion.

I would take the bolt apart, check the firing pin spring to see if it's broke. If not broken, clean it good with lighter fluid then just wipe it dry and don't use any lube. Then try to fire it if you still have misfires take it and the ammo you are using to a gunsmith and have him take a look at it. It's rare that you have problems with a Savage bolt.

Clean and lube with very small amount of light oil to prevent rust once a year or before it is to be stored for long term. Do not spray or drip oil to the inside of the bolt as this will collect grit and when the oil dries up it will eventually gum it up so bad it will no longer function. All oils dry up and turn to gum. If you are in dry dusty conditions use dry lube.

Pump and semi auto rifles are the nastiest mechanisms in the world to clean and maintain. If you are spraying it at all I recommend chasing out the excess with high pressure air. This can only be done for so long before the rifle will eventually gum up and stop. The only way to clean them right is to fully dismantle and detail clean them piece by piece.

I clean and lube my bolt after every shooting session.

I take my bolt apart every time i clean which is usually every 200-300 rounds.

I use a little grease on the firing pin and spring, and a little on any internal threads and the cocking cam.

Every year i change the fp spring.

It depends a lot on how hard or easy it is to take the firing pin out seems to say how often. Since I do not have the special tool to disassemble my 700 rem actions. I take them apart if out in nasty weather. Or on my yearly serious clean. I am getting to old hook the firing pin and pull it to put a dime in the slot. My Kimber bolt comes apart so easy, Every time I clean it, I take the bolt apart and clean it.

I took my savage 116 bolt apart. Wasn't to hard, just watched youtube. Haven't done 700. I don't think it has apart in over 40 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.