Chamber reamers - How and How often to sharpen

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by acloco, Jul 22, 2009.

1. acloco

acloco Well-Known Member

As the title states....

How often do you sharpen reamers?

Preferred method?

2. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

When they dull.
    Send to Kiff.

3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

+1. Send to Dave Kiff at PTG:)

BH

4. Rustystud

Rustystud Well-Known Member

Reamers have changed over the years.

M7 tool steel and carbide have revolutionized reamers.

Modern straight or helical cut, multiple flute, reamers are made to run faster than the older half reamers and 4 flute reamers.

I ream with a high preasure, high speed flush system with Rustlic 255R cut 5:1.

I have reamers that have cut several hundred chambers in stainless barrels.

These reamers are still sharper than old reamers that have cut only one chamber the old method ream, clean and lubricate at low RPMs.

I have all my reamers sharpened by Dave Kiff at PT&G.

Nat Lambeth

5. acloco

acloco Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for the informative answer.....juuuuust a touch better than the other two.

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I will be honest with you I have never had a reamer sharpened because if used properly
    they should last 20 to 30 chamberings or more.

Reamers are not very expensive and at around $110.00 avg. if you use one 25 times before it gets dull the cost per chamber would be $ 4.40 so I would just buy a new reamer and put the
    money for 2 way shipping and the re grind/sharpening towards the new one.

Even the wild cat/custom reamers @ around $200.00 would only cost $8.00 per chamber and
    the price goes down the longer the reamer last.

Some smiths say that they get over 200 chambers with there reamers using high pressure
    flushing.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

J E CUSTOM

7. acloco

acloco Well-Known Member

Thanks. The 223 AI reamer I own, lasted for 22 quality chambers, CM and SS, and I believe I got my money out of it.

Appreciate the feedback.

8. Rustystud

Rustystud Well-Known Member

Reamers get smaller with wear. They are made to be reground.

To my door A piloted PT&G reamer cost $152.00. I own 4, .308 reamers with differing throats. Each has cut several hundred chambers. I have 3, .223 reamers and each has cut several hundred chambers.

I have a .243 reamer that was reground from a .260 reamer that has several hundred chambers cut on it.

I have several 6mm BR and 6mmBRX reamers each having several hundred chambers on them.

I have a 6.5 x .284 that havs been reground and a .284 that has been reground. All cut great chambers.

I treat my reamers with great care. I don't loan reamers either.

Many of my customrs buy their own reamers and keep them for future chambers. I have had customers return after having another smith use their reamer and they be dull or chipped. Reamers that are not used with a high preasure flush system and a high quality cooland lubricant receive a lot more wear and tear.

Nat Lambeth

9. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

+1 /\

A high speed steel reamer from PTG should last well over 100+ chamber jobs provided the tool isn't abused.

It is just a reamer, just like any other reamer used in a conventional machine shop.

Be that as it may, if the tool dulls up, send it to PTG and they'll do you right. David Kiff is a top shelf guy.

Good luck.

Chad

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009