How much land is enough - BLM/WIHA ?

BrentSte

This is my first post but I have been lurking through the threads for sometime trying to soak up as much information and answer as many questions on my own as I begin to plan my hunt for 2015 for my son and I.

Being from Georgia, having a couple hundred acres to hunt is a gracious plenty. Seeing some of the Walk-in area's and BLM's that are several thousand acres seems impossible to cover, yet they are in 100% draw areas with left-over tags, high kill rates, and have the reputation on the threads for being "mostly private" and not worth the effort; seems contradictive lightbulb

My question to the group is, how many acres should I look for to be a feasible spot to hunt? I know more is better, but I also am trying to learn on the job while building points for better areas later.

Its about a 22 hour drive for a week's worth of hunting. Not looking for any handouts, just dont want to be barking up empty trees.

Thanks for your help

I don't think I saw where you were looking but these regions in Wyoming have those reputations for a reason. Wide open prairie or rolling sage hills don't have quality game in every dry wash or behind every sage bush. Two years ago I received permission to hunt 10,000 acres of private land for mule deer. After 3 days I was pretty well done. I had seen all 8 bucks half a dozen times and was ready to hunt elsewhere. That being said, you can find a dandy in 160 acre corner if the stars are aligned.

Good luck

Brent, the ability of an area to support huntable numbers would be first on the list regardless of the size. Here in Az. I elk hunt a 1162 sq. mile cattle ranch which has elk in some areas and none in others. My cousins in Texas have a 1000+ acres overrun with deer.

I understand the theory.

For specifics, I am looking at Antelope Unit 113 and 22 in Wyoming. Seems to be several thousand acres of BLM land and its surrounded by harder to draw units which makes me think there are goats there.

I realize there are few roads that access these public parcels yet I dont mind hiking in to camp and getting away from the roads and I am hoping that is the reason why its such an easy tag draw

I live in New Mexico and I can tell you that if it is antelope your going for then all the area you can get is what you want. Don't know about Wyoming but New Mexico G&F collects success stats in different units from the season before. You have to report days hunted and animals killed. Wyoming may do the same.

Thanks wbm, I have all those stats and it makes it even more perplexing as the units have high kill %'s and relatively short days per around 3. It all seems inline with the better units, and thats what makes me suspicious as to why so many available tags.

Ive gotta do some more research about public road access and that may answer my question. From what I have now, road access looks doable with a hike in after parking.

Something important to keep in mind, if there is no public road to it then there is no public access to it. You can't hop corners and while it is possible to gain access across private land to get to public land it is not a garaunteed right and usually will cost you. I have never run into the situation but javen't had the need either. From what I have encountered if tjere are leftover tags sstill this late in the game then there is probably very little public ground available.

One of the things you need to be aware of is that antelope are not everywhere in a unit. They prefer the prairie. Some of that public land is too rough to hold good numbers of antelope. They want flatter areas and rolling hills. Most of those public land areas have lots of 2 tracks through them. Means they get moved around a bit. Now this is a generalization and there are exceptions to that rule. Good luck. Bruce

Not looking for this year BirdHunter, but starting to plan for 2015. As mentioned, I still have to do my homework on the public roads in those units, was hoping to get some insight, which I have from the forum.

THanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.