How big is big for an antelope?

blipelt

I have a Montana Antelope tag and am leaving in a week for a six day archery hunt. Pretty much blind hunting. I went down a couple of weeks ago to meet the outfitter and get aquianted with the area. We seen some really nice antelope, four I would have shot without hesitation. Can someone help me in field judging so I don't let an arrow fly to soon. I was told by the outfitter to be picky for the first three days. Look for one about twice the ears? Anything else someone can add? I don't have much experience with antelope. Spending most of the time alone in the blind, and nobody else scheduled in the lodge. I need some experienced antelope hunters to tell me what to look for. If someone could help that sure would be great.

Brent

First quick look, I look at:

Twice as long as the ears.
Prong above the ears.
bases at least as wide as his eyes.

If they still look good, I'll look for:

general mass
prong length
symmetry

After that, just personal preference. I like odd balls that have funky stuff going on, and ones spread wide at the top.

First quick look, I look at:

Twice as long as the ears.
Prong above the ears.
bases at least as wide as his eyes.

If they still look good, I'll look for:

general mass
prong length
symmetry

After that, just personal preference. I like odd balls that have funky stuff going on, and ones spread wide at the top.

+1. Here an example and dandy teasers ...

DSC00798.jpg

YouTube - Montana Archery Antelope - Part 1!

Montana Antelope Hunting Outfitter MT Guided Trophy Pronghorn Antelope Hunts Guides Outfitters

Good luck!

Ed

Ed you know what the funny thing is my tag is for 900-00. The same unit that is mentioned in your link. Thanks for all the help guys. Now if I do my part I should have something to be proud of the hang on the wall. I am sure I won't need all six days, but I will ask him to show me the ground he has for elk and mule deer. His lodge had some really nice animals that were all taken off his land.

Brent

Last edited:
Ed you know what the funny thing is my tag is for 900-00. The same unit that is mentioned in your link. Thanks for all the help guys. Now if I do my part I should have something to be proud of the hang on the wall. I am sure I won't need all six days, but I will ask him to show me the ground he has for elk and mule deer. His lodge had some really nice animals that were all taken off his land.

Brent

Brent,

Go get them ... best of luck. Take lots of pix to share.

Happy safe hunting!

Ed

Two antelope of different characteristics. Each is a very nice head in its own way.

Phil600buck5.jpg

Cynthia535buck1.jpg

One is an old buck with seemingly great mass except at the base. It has a raw score of 80. Height is not great but has a lot of character which by the way causes a lot of deductions in final score.

The younger buck has less mass but great height but not much curve so it scores in the 70s.

Notice that by the "twice the height of the ear" that the younger buck meets it but does not really score as well as the older buck.

As mentioned earlier; Base of prongs or "cutters" above the ear tip, the further above the ear the better usually. The more "hook", the longer his horns will be; even if they don't look really tall.

Mass is key to making the book. I've seen 14 1/2" bucks make B&C and 17 1/2" bucks miss it. If you're interested in record book, look for one that appears thick and has the above mentioned traits too. You will get 4 circumference measurements on each horn at evenly spaced intervals (main reason for wanting high cutters). You will get a length of prong measurment on each horn and a base to tip measurment on each horn.

I personally like the ones that are wide, but the wide ones are usually not as long in the horn as they appear. There is also a deduction on the score if he's wider than tall (or used to be anyway). Some people look for alot of black on the face/cheek/neck area........they do look pretty cool if you find one with alot more black than normal, but they usually look bigger than actual too because of it.

If you're not interested in the record books. Beauty in in the eye......!

Thanks for all the help, but when you are waterhole hunting and you get 2" of rain. Needless to say I came home without for the first trip. The outfitter offered to come again if it gets better during the rut. If not Mule deer next year was mentioned. Even coming home without, it was worth it. The land was breathe taking and I met a couple new friends. With a rifle I would have had alot of chances.

Brent

All three bucks are nice..Congrats to all...I am headed out again next week to see if I can put some more antelope meat in my freezer....I am not looking for a high score but if he comes along so much the better....My LRH plans look pretty bleak right now because I haven't been able to get my hands on any Berger 115 VLDs for my Douglas barreled Savage....MidwayUSA, cabelas and even Berger are out of stock and have been for almost 2 months.....I have only eleven loaded cartridges left...They shoot real well out of the Douglas barrel even as good as .625 at 300 yards.....I have been working up another load with Hornady 117 interlocks but 300 yard groups are more like 2-1/2 to 3".....So my LRH plans may be limited to around that range...I am bringing my Adam's & Bennet barreled savage as a spare...It shoots similar to the other one and is much lighter for those longer carries.....

BTW, Tenwalker I sent you a PM a while back stating my ties to your town, I live in Hibbing now but get down to Cloquet and Carlton often...TTL

Good Luck to everybody on the upcoming hunts,
Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.