Best BLM maps for Wyoming?

Altiman94

I am looking for guy's opinions on where to obtain the best maps for BLM land in Wyoming. I'm looking specially for a couple units (not yet sure which unit I'll draw if any...), but want to make sure I'm ready to obtain and/or buy right after I know my draw unit.

I've been searching the net as well as the WY G & F site but not coming up with exactly what I'm hoping for. I'd like to be able to navigate the unit with a paper map for back up & a GPS chip for primary navigation.

I've found a few places online to buy maps that are unit specific & also know about the GPS chips. I'm contemplating buying one for my android but not sure how my battery life will be or the satellite signal on my phone in WY will be.

So a couple questions:

1) what are the best maps for BLM & other public lands for Wyoming antelope?
2) anyone have any experience with the android chips? I.E. how does it affect your battery life & ability to get satellites in WY. I doubt we'll be too far from power most of the trip but I don't want to have to keep my phone constantly charging in the truck either.

Thanks for the help guys.

I live in wyoming and can tell you for sure dont count on your phone, service is very iffy! I use a garmin gps with the map program from LRH STORE For my paper maps I use the standard blm maps and quad maps for better detail. If your hunt area is in an area where oil/gas drilling has been heavy, the roads wil be difrent than any map you buy, lots of new roads. The new version of the gps chip shows who owns the land as well, you can use this to know who to ask for premission. Good luck on the draw.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the GPS maps from LRH Store they work very well. I get the paper maps directly from BLM. I have not used maps on my Android but have used Google maps in WY the GPS drains the battery in no time. I did not have any service issues as far as making calls in the center of the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the standard BLM maps from the BLM website and the previously mentioned GPS chip. Some places the chip and map don't jive so just be aware of that. I prefer to err on the side of caution so unless the chip and map agree I move on.

Last fall I had a game warden mark the questionable areas on my map since I figured he would be the one writing the ticket.

Bob

It sounds like my fear of no signal/battery life would be an issue with an Android chip. I'll purchase a GPS & a GPS chip instead. I already have the phone so was looking to save the $200 on a UPS unit.

Are these BLM paper maps free? I can't seem to locate them anywhere on the BLM website...maybe someone can provide a link? If they are free I might as well print off the maps now & start marking some spots I want to hit.

I've found a few map sites that offer BLM maps for antelope units at like $30 each. I'll pay it if I have to, but I suspect there's some free ones somewhere.

Alot of scouting can be done with paper maps & google earth.

The link nimrod posted is the way to go for the BLM maps as many places are charging up to $10 for the same ones! Those and a GPS with the microSD chip and you should be all set to go! I use both, as well as making my own maps zooming in on where I will be with a couple software programs I've purchased if there is much private property where I will be. One was from Maptrails and covered just Wyoming, but it is no longer available. The other from DeLorme is called Topo North America 9.0 and covers the entire North American continent. IMO it is well worth the $99 they want for it as it also shows land ownership, coordinates, zoom in/out, many icons and things you can put on it to print out your own custom map, etc.

I live in wyoming and can tell you for sure dont count on your phone, service is very iffy! I use a garmin gps with the map program from HUNTINGGPSMAPS.COM? For my paper maps I use the standard blm maps and quad maps for better detail. If your hunt area is in an area where oil/gas drilling has been heavy, the roads wil be difrent than any map you buy, lots of new roads. The new version of the gps chip shows who owns the land as well, you can use this to know who to ask for premission. Good luck on the draw.:)

I agree 100%. Exploration has revamped the roads around here. I do a lot of survey and its amazing how fast roads chang and cell coverage drops based on the wind.

Best thing to do is call the BLM field office in the unit you plan to hunt and request maps....when I worked for them in MT maps were about $7.50 ea.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.