How many use “Old” Scopes?

I have several new Sightrons and a new Nightforce SHV 5x50. I bought a Kahles 8 x 56 in 1989 that was my main hunting scope until about 2012 and I still use it sometimes. It has lost a bit of its clarity and my eyes aren't what they used to be. By far worth every penny of the $389.00 I paid for it.
I'm a bit different than some. I'll put more money in the glass than I will in the rifle in most cases.

I would like to add another. Heinsholt on the FN Mauser, in 30-06 German Reticle Its on old German Claw Mounts that lock up like a bank vault.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    752.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
YZ, buried in your post is your question,

"I'm interested to know how many of you use (old scopes) for what you might consider "long range" (relative term)."

Most responders are focusing their responses on "owning old scopes" and not focusing their responses on "long range use" which is your question.

Studies have proven numerous times that we can not accurately judge distances past about 300 yds. That's a fact. Most don't consider 300 yds "long range." What has changed the long range shooting game and requirements for new scopes and new reticles is the laser rangefinder. In the past, the range was guessed and the shooter also guessed on how much to holdover. Both very bad practices. The laser rangefinder and ballistics applications now give the shooter an accurate range calculation so scopes needed to evolve to give the shooter accurate reticle extensions and accurate turret markings to match the accuracy of the laser rangefinder. Can you use an old duplex reticled scope to shoot past 600yds, yes! Will you hit your target? Most likely, no! This is why you need to replace old scopes for LONG RANGE, not because you can still see something through them or they're pretty or nostalgic.

Bottomline, old scopes are not adequate for ethical long range hunting.
Yeah, thanks for answering the question. The impetus for the post was my playing around with my new Tikka and developing the load for the 143-ELDX, which went well. "Long Range" is relative for me because for hunting purposes, I pretty much do Max out at 300-400 yards. Anyway, if I can get my stuff .5MOA at 300 (that's as far as I can test), I'm happy. I do use a Strelock program in the field and a range finder. I found that I could very reliably hit 6" steel at 300 by using the sight picture generated by the AP (below). Certainly nothing to write home about but for my purposes, sufficient.

All that said I do have "better" scopes. I have a couple of Vortex HS-Ts and a FFP Sig Tango 4. I've hit at 1,000 yards with these when I was a member of the Peacemaker range in WV but only at about 50%. I do much better in the 600 yard range and would be comfortable shooting to that distance with the Strelok AP and one if the aforementioned scopes. After reading alot of the replies, which I appreciate, I think I will take the Tango 4 off the Delta 5 and plop it on the Tikka or look for something cost effective that will provide more assurance. Best, -YZ
IMG_8201.png

I don't know about you guys but I have a bit of a problem paying more for glass than the price of a gun. As a result, I've got several "dinosaur" scopes that I've held onto over the years. Of course, I know their limitations. But within reasonable limits, I've found they are quite capable. I'm interested to know how many of you use them for what you might consider "long range" (relative term). More specifically, scopes with standard reticles (no subtentions or adjustable turrets). Here's a 1996 vintage VX-2 I had sitting around and it currently resides on my new Tikka. I will probably get around to replacing with maybe a Vortex Diamondback. For now, I'm making it work. Is anybody else as cheap as I am?

View attachment 497864View attachment 497865
Of my old school Leupold scopes I have left are a VariXIII Long Range Tactical which is much like a Mk4 capped from 1991, a VariXIII 2.5-8 and a M8 2.5X. The LR Tactical has been dialing shots out from 900 yards to 1200 yards on my PSS, it now sits on my 7mm RM REMARMS ADL. The 2.5-8 has a mildot reticle which I use for holdovers out to 800 yards depending on the load and zero. The 2.5X duplex reticle I've used out to 400 yards. I should of upgraded long ago but they work and life had other priorities.

Also, I have two Tasco Euro Class 3x9's that have been rode hard, still holding zero after 30 years. One of these scopes looks like it has been through the Indian Wars due to a mule lying down in a creek, rolling on it. but have killed a lot of coyotes with it....good enough glass.

Also, I have two Tasco Euro Class 3x9's that have been rode hard, still holding zero after 30 years. One of these scopes looks like it has been through the Indian Wars due to a mule lying down in a creek, rolling on it. but have killed a lot of coyotes with it....good enough glass.
HAA! I have an old Tasso 3 X 9 prong horn scope that I got in 1995 on my Muzzle Loader. Big fat reticle. Still works!