How many run dash cameras?

I have no dash cam info but I am curious about the "weird experience".

Well, my weirdos were 2 out of state people in rush hour freeway (35W) traffic in a construction zone. Driver, young 20 something female, passenger younger well built 20 something male. She was on her phone and traffic would move and she would sit until there were several 100yds between her and the car in front. Being the nice a$$hole I am, after the 3rd time, I got my binoculars off the seat and pretended to look at her phone. Other drivers honking their horns and pointing. She noticed me and they both proceeded to get out of their SUV and one approached either side of my truck. Aggressive boy toy starts banging his fist on the passenger side window, abruptly stops when he sees me draw my LTC to the low ready position. It didn't take but a second for them to realize what was about to transpire and get back in their vehicle and hot foot it away from the scene. A few miles down the road is a QT where I occasionally buy fuel. I didn't notice them until the officer approached my truck and started interrogating me. I explained what happened and what I was prepared to do. I also told the officer I had my dad and sister on a conference call discussing my cardiologist appointment when everything went down and both heard the banging and screaming and would validate my story.

Youngsters were both in tears trying to sell their story to the other responding officer and said I chased them to the QT.

First officer went to review the video and came back and told me I was free to go, said it was obvious that I hadn't chased them to the store and was unaware they were even there.

The officer was the one who suggested the dash camera, said if it had gone further, it would have kept me out of jail overnight and any potential civil case.

He then chuckled and asked me if I really pulled out my binoculars. I pointed to the seat and he laughed and said that was hilarious.

Cool thing was, he asked for my LTC and DL, but never asked about my weapon or if I was even carrying. Didn't even act nervous or suspicious towards me.

I just got to thinking about the consequences of the situation as I drove on home.

I currently use my wife's old iphone for a vehicle camera. I wiped as much of it as possible and left the bare minimum on it. This gives a little more recording time.

It will record for approximately 4 hours (+-). During playback, it is a little shaky but running the video through a program will stabilize the video.

When I go PD hunting, I have a 2 day drive and the iphone is recording while I'm on the road. When I stop for gas, I delete the video and the memory is then cleared and it's ready to go again.

Over the years, I've tried different cameras made for vehicles, but fine they shut down do to heat issues. The iphone doesn't do this. I wouldn't mind getting a true dash cam if it didn't overheat and shut down.

As I understand it...

Hardwired seems to make the best system, but it is challenging to run the wires and then conceal them. One would hope that car manufacturers would soon either offer the cameras as an option or at least supply power connections for them.
Some cars do have dash cams, but here is a company that makes adapters to fit between rear view mirrors and dash cams.

I have no affiliation with them but I have one of their adapters in my F150 and it was super easy to install and has worked perfectly for 3+ years.