How many rounds between cleaning ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Down Under Hunter, May 19, 2010.

1. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

Just interested in everyones thoughts on how many rounds you shoot in between cleaning sessions for premium accuracy.

I shoot a HART 1-10 with 300 smk's. Just undecided about this .

Cheers

DUH

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Interesting that LR BR guys used to think that cleaning had to be done between each relay and now you have quite a few winners not cleaning until the end of the match with as many as 80 rounds or so going down the tube.

BH

3. Savagebien

Savagebien Well-Known Member

I have a Krieger barreled 6br, it does fine going a long time between cleanings. I recently shot a two day f-class match, it went 176 rounds before I cleaned it. It never lost accuracy, but takes longer to clean after that many rounds.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Barrels are all different and require different cleaning regiments depending on how quick
    they foul.

When possible I clean every 5 to 10 shots, During matches This is not possible so I have
    shot 80 to 100 rounds before cleaning.

Accuracy may degrade to an acceptable level and allow you to shoot as much as you
    want, But I get my best accuracy after cleaning and one fouling shot.

What I would recomend is, start with a clean barrel and shoot 5 shot groups allowing
    the rifle to cool after each 5 shot string and see when/if the accuracy falls of and to what
    level. If that level is still acceptable at the distance you intend to shoot. Enjoy !!!.

The down side to shooting lots of rounds is the cleanup time.

J E CUSTOM

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

The amount of powder, type of powder, pressure of burn, toughness of bullet all affect the situation.

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

i'm just guessing but maybe the bigger boo,mers need to be cleaned a little earlier than the smaller rifle that shoot competetive.

I shoot a Remington .300 Ultra mag. 210 berger with a broughton Custom barrel and the maker shoots 1000 Comp and he told me to clean it shoot 2 fowlers then start shooting groups after about 20 rounds clean again he also told me to never brush my barrel EVER he said that with all of the different kinds of chemicals out their today we don't have to brush . so I've never brushed my barrel as of yet and it seems to do just fine. I likie the fact that ive not took a brush of any kind to my barrel:) but that just how I do it.

BIgBuck

7. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

I only clean every spring.

Otherwise I'd be IN the house doing housecleaning.

8. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

I clean every 15-20 rounds...works for me. Having said that both JE and Bigbuck make some good points. There are variables, you'll have to play around to find out where that is for your setup.

9. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

The riflesmith that built my 243AI recommended cleaning every 20 shots. I've tried to stick to that and the rifle is still shooting sub-MOA after over 1000 rounds.

10. kiwi3006

kiwi3006 Well-Known Member

I must admit I clean mine when it is being put away for awhile, so it might be after one shot.
    I was taught that leaving them uncleaned could cause corrosion in the barrel, NZ's climate is relatively wet. Might be a hangover from the old .303 corrosive primer days.

Stu.