How Many Rounds Fired In One Range Trip

I find my first 15 shots are pretty good and I do my load tests first. After that it's usually forming brass. With components so expenive, I've cut my shooting down in half - 500 centerfire rounds per year. A 22, a 17 HMR and a pellet rifle are now used to keep the trigger finger happy.

Depends on a few factors. With some of my LR varmint or comp firearms, it can be in the hundreds. I think the most I fired from one rifle in one full day of training/practice was 500, but usually, a couple of hundred. Large caliber medium to large game hunting rifles may be a few dozen to a box of 50. If I am developing a load, it could be more.

When I lived in the country and had my own personal range and was heavy into comp match shooting, it was common for me to burn 50 rds per afternoon M-F after work, and then whatever the weekend match required. Small bore prone and NRA 22 Silhouette would be even more, a 100 rds or so per daily practice.

Cleaning was usually ever 50 rds or so, but some barrels were good for 100rds before cleaning. A few calibers and rougher barrels needed a cleaning after 20-25 rds. The 22 LRs, almost never or until accuracy declined

Don't see many fellow NRA High Power or Smallbore Silhouette shooters here.

Agreed. Not many of those old ranges/clubs still shoot those comp matches. I was a shooting club VP and range master, and most any weekend, we had some type of official shooting match, and then there were all the neighboring state clubs and matches that we often attended. Those were good days and times.

Agreed. Not many of those old ranges/clubs still shoot those comp matches. I was a shooting club VP and range master, and most any weekend, we had some type of official shooting match, and then there were all the neighboring state clubs and matches that we often attended. Those were good days and times.

We have one of each class each month, but not many shooters anymore. Sure is fun.

Typically, around 100-150. I mainly shoot from a bench chasing the mythical .000" group. If I decide on handguns, then I may go up to 200. Handgun rounds, for me, are the most economical since I cast my own projectiles from Linotype.

I still own 2 full sets (40) of the NRA 22 rifle and one set (20) of IHMSA 22 handgun. I had a set of center fire Field Pistol, but sometime ago, I sold those. Mistake........

IMG_0178.jpg

how many rounds do most typically shoot in one range trip? What would you say is too much?

Also, how often do y'all clean your guns? Thanks
My weekly trip to the range may run from 2-3 rounds (to confirm zero) to 100 rounds (with a problem or with multiple guns). I likely average about 45 rounds per week.

I still own 2 full sets (40) of the NRA 22 rifle and one set (20) of IHMSA 22 handgun. I had a set of center fire Field Pistol, but sometime ago, I sold those. Mistake........

View attachment 454844

When living in Mexico we had an some swing sets made by and ironworker friend of us. So I have a swing set for each target for both Smallbore Rifle and Pistol, Similar to the gong swings you see at the range, but portable.

When hunting or out camping somewhere in the woods or desert, we take them and practice with them, they work pretty good for air rifles as well.

Turkeys are the ones I have not hit 10 in row, got the 9 quite a few times, but not the 10.

When living in Mexico we had an some swing sets made by and ironworker friend of us. So I have a swing set for each target for both Smallbore Rifle and Pistol, Similar to the gong swings you see at the range, but portable.

When hunting or out camping somewhere in the woods or desert, we take them and practice with them, they work pretty good for air rifles as well.

Turkeys are the ones I have not hit 10 in row, got the 9 quite a few times, but not the 10.

Yes. Back in the 90's, I converted a few into portable swingers and spinners using rebar stands, and they worked well and were much fun for practice.

Turkeys get everybody! LOL I never shot a clean 40, and my average was 37/40.

Depends on the cartridge and rifle. Probably 40-200 right now for lr guns. 100-300 for close range stuff. I usually stay 1-2hrs. On the big rifle maybe only 20 or so

I clean my 300prc every 50 rounds or so, just in case it helps prevent a carbon ring.

I don't clean my 223s or creeds aside from wiping down bcg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes. Back in the 90's, I converted a few into portable swingers and spinners using rebar stands, and they worked well and were much fun for practice.

Turkeys get everybody! LOL I never shot a clean 40, and my average was 37/40.

Nice, most I've shot is 37, my average is 33 for Smallbore and 28 for High Power

Depends on how many firearms i take. What type do i take. And is someone else going with me?

Rifles anywhere from 5-50 rounds each.
Pistols 10-100 rounds each.

How often i clean, again depends upon firearm & condition of the barrel. aka is it a new barrel, or seasoned barrel.
At worst i wait & clean after i get home.

I like to go to the range one time every week more if I could aford it. I use about 20 rounds on each caliber of rifle except the 22 rimfire 50 to 100 rounds on the .223 and 5.56 ar's about 30 rounds each. But as of today I'm down to 100 rounds of large and small rifle primers, so I might be a while before I can go to the range . at my range large rifle BR where selling for 189.00 plus tax per brick. I cant afford that right now. as far as at my LGS they havent seen rifle primers of any size for months some pistol come through now and then so far.