How Many Rounds Fired In One Range Trip

how many rounds do most typically shoot in one range trip? What would you say is too much?

Also, how often do y'all clean your guns? Thanks
Depends on a few factors. With some of my LR varmint or comp firearms, it can be in the hundreds. I think the most I fired from one rifle in one full day of training/practice was 500, but usually, a couple of hundred. Large caliber medium to large game hunting rifles may be a few dozen to a box of 50. If I am developing a load, it could be more.

When I lived in the country and had my own personal range and was heavy into comp match shooting, it was common for me to burn 50 rds per afternoon M-F after work, and then whatever the weekend match required. Small bore prone and NRA 22 Silhouette would be even more, a 100 rds or so per daily practice.

Cleaning was usually ever 50 rds or so, but some barrels were good for 100rds before cleaning. A few calibers and rougher barrels needed a cleaning after 20-25 rds. The 22 LRs, almost never or until accuracy declined

I am definately realizing that I am onnthe lower end of the spectrum of shots per range session. Admittedly, I go to the range once a week pretty religiously, so I don't often let the things I'm working on or developing build up. I usually hate myself if I take more than two rifles to the range, if both have work to do woth the loads.
I also have a buddy that goes 90% of the time, so it's a bit of a social thing.

All that said, I usually structure my trips with goals in mind, and very seldom just sling lead. I'm either developing a load, validating dope for that load at distance, doing a tracking test on a scope, etc. So, my average for the day on a range trip ranges between 25 and 45 rounds. And double that if I'm shooting the precision 22lr rig.

I kinda hate to think of it in terms of a count per trip because that always flows into the cost equation in my mind- rounds per trip x trips per month= rounds per month x cost for each round= cost of ammo ÷ number of hours at range = cost per hour. Dang......maybe going to the movies isn't so expensive these days!

I shoot 100rds of 22lr minimum sometimes I'll shoot 50rds of centerfire sometimes 200. Like Lance I have minimum 3 centerfires of my own and 1 guest rifle, my edc (G19) a 22lr slide for my G17 as well as my comp G17. Since the BLM riots I shoot 50rds of centerfire pistol every range trip outside regardless of weather. Nice weather I will also run the El Preidente, duel tree, and plate rack with the 22 slide. Most of the time the plates will not fall without a perfect hit which saves some paint. Range sessions with students I will shoot to demonstrate only if a student is having an issue preforming the task.
Before primers went to the moon I didn't shoot the 22 as much with more centerfire in both long gun and pistol

If I find a prairie dog town, I shoot everything I brought! Usually, 12 -30 rounds is what I do. I'd do more but I'm hesitant to shoot everything I have now that things are hard to come by and more expensive.
When I was a member of Strategic Edge, I could fire as many as 100 rounds at one range day since then I severely cut back. I put in a 400 yard range in my backyard. I may fire anywhere from three rounds to 40 rounds it just depends what I'm doing but I don't shoot nearly at the level I used to.

In regards to cleaning, I clean when my rifle tells me it is time to clean.
I'm with this guy^, unless I'm doing load development. Then its a barrel swipe between 5 shot groups.

I live in the Deep South, so depends on time of year as to how long I stay, and how many rounds I fire. The heat and humidity can get wicked down here.

Since I have my own range (actually two) a gravel pit for short range under 100 yds, and pasture with targets at 200, 300, & 400yds. I can shoot most anytime the weather's right. Here's an average. Load development 20-30 shots.
When my boys and their buddies get together, it can be a lot of shooting. Clays - they will shoot 100 each, me about a box of 25. Pistol - 20-50. AR platform - 30-90. Occasionally I will bring a lever rifle or revolver and shoot whatever it holds in the magazine or cylinder.I love spending time with these young men and sharing my knowledge of the sport. And, of course, the competition as well. Only thing required is they pick up brass and hulls, which they always give to me. That may change because there's one young man that's really interested and always asks questions about reloading.

I used to shoot 15 to 18 rounds per specific load. now its down to 9 or 12 per load. I get tired now. Any Change to the load at all, Like 3/10ths grn more powder make 9 to 12 new rounds for that Groupe, then 9 more for the next change like 3/10th of a grn more powder. The same goes for seating depths . Average of 9 rounds for each range Test, 27 rounds on average . Sometimes 30 rounds. Then go home and clean the rifle, and using the same matched cases, anneal and remake the loads for the next step in the testing process . Back to the range in a few days to "assess the damage " or see if I have improved anything. Doing this right now with a short 20 inch barreled 30-06 , with a new Leupold VX 3 scope and new Timney Trigger. Looking for 1 MOA or slightly less, if possible, for next seasons Penn Deer Hunt. My Expectation of the Rifles/Scope / Loads performance is determined by its specific use. So my Rem 40 X BR in 6mm BR needs to shoot .2,@100, but the short .06 Woods Rifle needs to shoot one inch.

Usually 1, possibly 2.
I like to shoot at 600 yds at my local range. I put a quarter in the center of a standard bullseye target and normally hit it however wind effects my shooting so sometimes I have to shoot twice.

If you believe this I have a couple acres of prime real estate for sale in Florida that is very nice twice a day at low tide. :)
Mike
Sounds like Miami😂

Up to 100 rounds/session. With my 375 H&H. About the same amount with my other centerfire rifles also.
Up to 500 rounds with 22lr.
Don't know in future because prices of components are so high nowadays and can even be hard to find...

I guess I've been lucky lately. We've brought a few new toys into the house lately and most have required about zero load development. The Savage Impulse 300win is sub moa out of the gate with two different loads (165 gr. and 200gr.). She's got a bit longer throat than my Browning so I might stretch a few out to 50 thou. off the rifling and see if she improves. If so, she'll have her own brass/ load. If not, the rifles are similar enough that I'll load them as equals.
My S&W 10mm is doing well with the first powder tried with a brand new RCBS 200gr bullet mold. I may work the charge up a bit but I want to put her on the Labradar first as if it's good enough I'll leave it.
As far as range sessions I'll usually bring at least 50 rounds per rifle and there's 3 of us shooting most times. I'm usually lucky to not have to load 100 rounds or better and clean 1/2 dozen guns when we get back.
Primers are a bit of an issue, but I'm not critical yet. I'd like to have a few more bricks waiting and ready, but I'm still doing alright all in all so I haven't really backed off because of that.
I have actually started streamlining a bit by loading some of the oddball stuff in mild loads in rifles like my 30-06 to burn off the stuff I don't intend to re-buy. The trouble with this is I've found a few really good loads by accident.