How many of you try to help out friends, relatives find ammo?

I have enough handgun ammunition for my uses, so when I trip over 9mm I'll check with people I'm close to and see what they want me to do. I will be dropping some off tomorrow for what I paid.

My wife and I host an annual fall sight-in for a very tight circle of relatives plus just a few friends.
I already sent out an email that folks should be on the lookout for essentials now instead of the week before.

The last gunshop I worked at had an excellent reputation for stocking hard-to-find ammunition. At one point had several cases of 284 Winchester. An out of state customer was outside on his cell phone for a half hour trying to convince his brother back home to give him the go ahead to pick up at least a case. Nope. "I'll just keep watching here at home." Their nearest town was 100 miles away.

I have more than enough ammo for several years but I won't help out those that I tried convincing to buy ammo before all this started and are now caught with their pants down. Had a young novice shooter wanting to buy ammo from me at the regular prices because he did not want to pay the high prices. I reminded him to buy a box or two every pay period instead of cigarettes and beer. Priorities, it is all about priorities.

On the other hand I gave my brother a couple of thousand rounds of 22lr and 22 magnum so that he can take his daughter and wife out shooting as they love shooting 22lr. In return he gave me a 94-22M Winchester for my birthday. A couple of months ago he asked me to keep an eye out for a Remington 870 in 20 gauge that he wanted for home defense. It so happened that I had one in a tactical configuration and I gave him that one. In the end it all works out.

When I am at the range and I see a parent with their kids shooting 22 and they run out of ammo and the kids get disappointed I always offer free of charge some extra ammo as I always take an extra brick for such occasions. Great way to make a new friend.

Last edited:
I definitely try to help out my close buddies or other locals that i know need things. Alot of my friends are not as prepared as they think they are haha, I guess it depends on how you were raised. Growing up and shooting alot of shotgun, we quit bothering with cardboard boxes and shells were measured in Home Depot buckets. I was practically potty trained on a Dillon 550, but then there's people who think they're stocked up with 100rds.

Recently had a friend explain his ammo situation for his 3 long rifles and he has 50-100shells for each gun. He felt secure with his ammo, lets hope it shoots well haha. Just makes me laugh how relative the term "stocked up" is. I can guarantee there's many who would put me to shame!

I found some very good priced 28nosler for another friend, sent him the link and mentioned that he might as well get a bunch because he could use the brass. He says "I'll order 2 boxes" so as his best friend & hunting partner, I reminded him of his shooting record with that gun and he quickly ordered 5 boxes, i felt better about that!! hahaha peer pressure is real but facts are facts too

Last edited:
I'm constantly on the lookout for friends, buddies acquaintances or random members who I'm relatively certain aren't just reselling. unintentionally built up a fairly respectable network of guys buying,selling trading to keep each other up to snuff. It's fun too!

Last edited:
I had checked my work calendar last week that I had marked every time I went to my local Scheels in 2021 (74) times and twice to the Rochester MN one and 12 trips to Cabela's
I probably did 35+ ammo and reloading supply buys for 10-12 friends and some folks on here.
I asked that they only pay me what I payed.
I have been to my Scheels 3 times and Cabela's twice this year and have decided that I'm not going to try to beat last years trip count.
T.P.