How long of a barrel?

Cnkhunting

I am new to the AR 15 guns, I just ordered a complete lower and am looking for a complete upper in 223 wylde. I'm building it for calling coyotes. What length barrel should I do? 18" or 20"

What's the cost of a complete upper
A couple of my rifles came with 20"(ie HBar Colt, Bushmaster) barrels and were more then sufficient to hunt coyotes at the longer distances. It's been several years, but my most accurate LR AR is a DPMS complete upper with a 22" heavy varmint barrel, 1:9TW that cost approx. $600, bought from Midway USA. It's very accurate. So much so that I have used it with good success in 200-300 yard Egg Shoot competition….25MOA.

Last edited:
I am new to the AR 15 guns, I just ordered a complete lower and am looking for a complete upper in 223 wylde. I'm building it for calling coyotes. What length barrel should I do? 18" or 20"
16" inches should do everything you want, with that said, if you want more velocity especially if you're talking about a 5.56x45mm pressure and hand loads you might think about a full 22" inches or even 24" inches. 16" inches and 20" inches in most rifles are going to run near the same velocity through most bullet weights out of the box store brands. If you're going to run a can go with the 16' inch. Just my 0.2 Cheers

I have shot plenty of 24", 20", 18" 16" and shorty's....they all kill coyotes. I honestly believe that a mid-weight barrel (not a carbine but nothing more than the Army HBAR contour) in 16-18" is the sweet spot for calling. I don't see the benefit of extra length nor the need for super heavy bull barrels (but yet I own a pair of RRA 18" varmint). I'd say that 18" is more than plenty, especially for 90%+ of calling situations. MAYBE with some of the heavy bullets, like north of 70 grains, the 20" or 24" barrels would help you when experimenting with powder burn rates. But I believe the difference is not much more than marginal at 400 yards, maybe a little more obvious at 500. Most of that difference can be overcome in bullet selection anyways. And anything over 3400fps is not really necessary.

A coyote in the wild at 500yards with a 223 is truly a marksman's challenge, even more so with a gas gun. When that same coyote in the wild suprises you inside 50 yards it's a hunter's challenge, where cunning and experience prevail and where the benefits of the gas gun setup could tip the scales a bit. The better you get, the closer they get. Thats the fun part. I find significantly less joy in blasting at them at 400-500 yards than I do when all i can see in the scope is hair. My heart rate confirms this every time.