Long barrel short barrel

SteveAreno

So I built my A.R. with the intention of it being a tactical gun. As I got into it more I realized I wouldn't be happy unless I could reach out there at least six hundred yards with it. I talked to one of my local gun guys and he said on the 5.56 platform in his opinion said the 6.5 creedmore. I'd like to stay with the same size round for both uppers (I decided to build two) but if the 6.5 is better at distance so be it.

Here's some pictures so you can see how the direction has changed.

Attachments

• afdd9ee1.jpg
    afdd9ee1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 97
  • e9bfdc7d.jpg
    e9bfdc7d.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 103
As I'm sure most of you have probebly noticed the tactical set up is on the right. I recently got a scope and put it on. I realize the 16 inch barrel is on the short side for long range. Was thinking a 20 inch bbl in 5.56 with a 1 in 7. However I'm not sure the stopping power will be there at 600 yards for prairie dog to coyote size animals. I just don't think I'll have enough power out there. Does anybody know more about the 223 at ranges beyond 300 yards? How does it measure up against the 6.5? As always any information is appreciated.

Have shot both and at long ranges the 6.5 Creedmoor far surpasses the .223 in both accuracy and ballistics.

Grendal is what I've found will fit. Although the guy at the gun store said creedmoor. Maybe mis spoke himself. On further research of my perspective rout I found its a little more involved than just slapping an upper on. Not the end of the world but the buffer is a little different. And if the zombies come and I have my 6.5 in my back pack and I wanna change over I don't wanna be looking for my buffer."Don't really think so but you never know". As much as I like the 6.5 I probably will go with a bolt action. More cost effective and no confusion when it comes to magazine changes." If I needed it in a hurry".

6.5 grendal is for sure the way to go if your doing long distance killing but having said that, the 5.56 with the right bullet can take care of business as well, just not as good as the grendal.
Bullets in 6.5 are long distance kings

I've been thinking a lot about it. Still want one on an A.R. Platform. But as far as accuracy goes I'm hearing a bolt gun is better. How much accuracy difference are we talking about? If we're talking about a half inch at 300 yards I could live with that. Does anyone know?

You should be able to stay pretty close to a bolt gun with an AR if you get a good match barrel and freefloat fore arm (I'd strongly recommend a Geisselle trigger as well, but that's a whole new tread). If you want to swap back and forth with no buffer/spring issues you might want to look at the 6.8SPC as well. It doesn't have the reputation for accuracy the Grendel does. But I can assure you, it'll group every bit as well as the 5.56 at any distance while bucking the wind better, and has about twice the knock down power (basiclly shooting a light 270win bullet) Mine likes the 120gr rounds, and the coyotes really hate it. It's got plenty of poop left at 400yds for a yote, well 390ish(my range finder is junk) I haven't got a yote any farther yet, but I wouldn't think twice about a 500-600yd yote. I can tap dance on a beer can at 500 and I know guys that are very pleased with theirs at 600. Another plus is that the 6.8 is designed for use in a 16in barrel, so you don't need a mile of tube hanging out there. I went with a Bison Armory 18in Recon and don't have a single complaint. The brass isn't cheap, but the Grendel and Creedmore are either. More and more companies are starting to make 6.8 ammo too, so the selection is getting pretty good for shelf ammo. Sorry to be so long-winded, I just find the 6.8 to be a great all-around hunting bullet in an AR-15 platform.

I think AR's can be every bit as accurate as a bolt gun. Like the other poster said, a well built ar with a custom barrel.
I think once you start getting into extreme long range is where a bolt rifle will start beating an AR out in accuracy.
Bolt rifles are easier on the brass if you reload. Ar's or any semi auto beat up the brass.
If you are into benchrest accuracy, then youll need a custom bolt rifle. But 0.2 moa vs 0.5 moa means nothing to me for hunting out to 1000 yards (0.5 moa is only a 5 inch group at 1000 yds which is extremely accurate..hell for an elk size animal that accuracy is good to 2000 yds even though Id never shoot at an animal that far with my rifles)

My AR-10 308 is a 0.5-0.75 moa rifle depending on load and conditions

I'm not against goin with the 6.8. I've seen more variations of that configuration than any other. Aside from the 223. That's good to hear that it it too can reach out there pretty good. Haven't seen to much on it ballisticaly. Anybody have input on the 6.8? As far as take down energy around 600 yards or more?

Mil-spec guns can get you 1 - 1.5 MOA pretty steady. At 600 yds 1.5 MOA is minute of coyote. If you are wanting a sub MOA or a sub half semi, I suggest you order a long range rig. Tolerances in mil-spec are not tight enough to yield true precision.

I am not saying there are not a few factory guns out there doing it, I am saying you will most likely always be disappointed with the results you are getting, and will spend more money in the end.

I'm not against goin with the 6.8. I've seen more variations of that configuration than any other. Aside from the 223. That's good to hear that it it too can reach out there pretty good. Haven't seen to much on it ballisticaly. Anybody have input on the 6.8? As far as take down energy around 600 yards or more?
Check the 6.8Forums site, as there's a ton of info in some of the stickys. I don't really use mine that far out, but I'm sure it'd out preform the 5.56, I just couldn't say exactly how much better it'd do. I think the Grendel gains it's edge over the 6.8 at around 450yds or so (but with about twice the kick) Again, check the 6.8 site, they've got a bunch of side by side comparisons.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts