How good is good enough ?

Ought6

I have a new 7mm Rem Mag that I have been trying different factory ammo in to see what it likes the best . I am setting up this rifle for hunting at a maximum of about 500 yards or so . After trying about 7 different brands , some of which that I already had , the best I can get out of it is a 5 shot group of 7/8's inch . Three of the 5 are touching and the other two are about a half inch from them . Is this good enough or should I keep looking at different ammo ? By the way , Fusion 150 grain is what the has been the best so far . Has anybody had any experience with this ammo ? Thanks

If you are getting double groups I would try bedding your rifle. I have seen bedding make drastic improvements to average group size.

MOA or less should be good out to 500 yards. Smaller is always better.

I have a new 7mm Rem Mag that I have been trying different factory ammo in to see what it likes the best . I am setting up this rifle for hunting at a maximum of about 500 yards or so . After trying about 7 different brands , some of which that I already had , the best I can get out of it is a 5 shot group of 7/8's inch . Three of the 5 are touching and the other two are about a half inch from them . Is this good enough or should I keep looking at different ammo ? By the way , Fusion 150 grain is what the has been the best so far . Has anybody had any experience with this ammo ? Thanks

Distance is 100 yds

Try this, if your target area is whitetail vitals, set up a 5" paper plate at various distances. When you fail to hit the target EVERY shot that is your max distance for your best ammo.
That should be good up to 500 yards at .75 moa I'd say.

... best I can get out of it is a 5 shot group of 7/8's inch .

If you have an "off the shelf" factory rifle that shoots under 1MOA you're doing OK

...Three of the 5 are touching and the other two are about a half inch from them . Is this good enough ...

For a satisfactory hunting rifle it's good enough; but for the nit pickers like me, it's not.

... should I keep looking at different ammo ? By the way , Fusion 150 grain is what the has been the best so far ...

If you want to tighten things up, take the advice offered earlier and bed the action, bed the rail and torque everything up to specs. That should improve what you're currently getting.

If you want more, you'll probably have to join the reloaders of America. :)

A 7/8 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards with factory ammo is real good. Your are there for what you stated. Trying to get under MOA with factory loads would be wasting your ammo IMO. Just start practicing and stretch it out to find out your max range

"Good enough" is a mythical standard that is impossible to reach. It's always just a little better that what you currently have. :D

For hunting 1" plenty for me.
Precision .35-.50 is my goal.
Being human i always build machines that can out shoot my sloppy skills.

Take it out to 300y and zero it. If you are still holding 3" you are in great shape. Take note on the first shot cold bore hit. That is the one that matters most. Once you have zero set stretch the yardage. Pay attention to the cold bore shot placement.

Steve

Weatherby used to claim 1 1/2" for three shots at 100 yards. Obviously that was good enough for lots of rich guys to kill lots of fantastic heads around the world.

Weatherby used to claim 1 1/2" for three shots at 100 yards. Obviously that was good enough for lots of rich guys to kill lots of fantastic heads around the world.

I'd be happy with that with a stock bdl with factory ammo.
But if I paid that much for a Mark V , I'd be livid with 1.5 moa.

Tikka T3 Lite with Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 with Burris Extreme Tactical base and Burris Zee rings

I own a Tikka T3 lite in 7MM Rem Mag, With factory ammo the best one I found was the Hornady Superformance 162 SST I was shooting .5 moa out to 500 yards. I did try the 150 grain when I first got the rifle but it was only shooting about .75 to 1 moa at 100 then I tried the Superformance and it went to .5 repeatedly. I am not sure if you tried that ammo yet or not. I will try to get a photo uploaded later today.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.