6.5x284 - How good?

Jerry D

How do you guys rate this caliber for long range hunting?

I see in the poll on the homepage that the 6.5x284 is rated #1 for peoples next long range hunting rig.

What is the largest game you'd feel free to take with it and at what range and with what bullet?

It is really starting to appeal to me as I want an effective caliber with lower recoil.

The 6.5x284 is a super accurate rifle for long range hunting. I have used it for P-Dog hunting out to 1500 yards. The 6.5x284, with the right bullet, will easly take down an elk at 1000 yards.

The 6.5x284 is a super accurate rifle for long range hunting. I have used it for P-Dog hunting out to 1500 yards. The 6.5x284, with the right bullet, will easly take down an elk at 1000 yards.

The 6.5x284 definetily has its place and is a good deer rifle and elk at moderate ranges but it is not a 1000 yard elk rifle. Not to start a fight but it just does not carry the energy needed to take down an 700 lb animal consistantly at the longer ranges. Yeah I know it probably has been done but its not the norm.

The 6.5x284 definetily has its place and is a good deer rifle and elk at moderate ranges but it is not a 1000 yard elk rifle. Not to start a fight but it just does not carry the energy needed to take down an 700 lb animal consistantly at the longer ranges. Yeah I know it probably has been done but its not the norm.

+1

Mine has been working fine on deer.

i have 2 6.5 -284's . they shoot very good and do real well in the wind. if i was going to shoot an elk or big deer far away ; or trophy deer i would take either my 7mm rem or MY 300 WIN MAG. i have a choice . but the 6.5 -284 is a great cartridge. the last elk(6by6) i shot . 26 yards with a 30-06. roninflag

My opinion, no more no less. The 6.5 cal is a terrific caliber. Great bc's, and high sectional density. With a dedicated hunting bullet, I would consider it a good 400ish yrd elk rifle. Use a bullet like the 130 Accubond or the 130 Scirocco. Shoot deer and antelope as far as you are comfortable or about 800yrds. That is where you will drop below the 1800fps mark.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts