.284 120gr TTSX good enough for

M_freeman

Guys do you think .284 120gr TTSX good enough for quartering shots on mule deer from a 7mm-08 out to 300 yards? Don't want too use the 140gr as I want to save meat.

Definately good to go. However, a heavier bullet will usually have less meat loss do to less velocity. You could also slow the 120s down a little, even at 2800 fps you have plenty of energy beyond 300 yards for mulies. Hope this helps.

I never experienced excessive tissue damage using the 140 TSX in my 7 STW. Naturally, I was not blasting them in the shoulder but instead using the traditional behind the foreleg impacts.

I doubt that the TSX weight (120 vs 140 vs 160) will make any difference.

I agree with the rest. No problem at all as long as it is the 120 barnes ttsx. Don't try it with other light bullets though. The 120 ttsx would probably go end to end. I would prefer that bullet with the slower cartridges to help with trajectory.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.