How fast can a 300 win mag push a 230 Berger

lee31

At the local gun shop today picking up my new 220 swift. There was a guy in there today that has a stock 700 Long range in 300 win mag. He was telling me how he loves shooting long range and says he has shot his 300 out to 2000 yards. He also said I could come over to his range. Said he can shoot to 1400 yards. I told him I would take him up on the offer some time this winter. Then he told me that his 300 drives 230 Bergers at 3050fps. He also said that he can go up another 2 grains of powder with no pressure signs. I told him that I have never heard of a 300 win mag that could drive a 230 that fast. He also said his 24 inch barreled 308 can drive 185s at right at 2800. I'm thinking he is blowing smoke up my arse. Am I wrong or is this possible.

With H-1000 in a 28" 300 win we got 2775 fps in a 300 win.

However we often get 3K plus with the 215 From a 300 win in a 28" WITH h-1000.

I would say he must have a defective chronograph. If you get his load data for the 300 win with 230's I would like to hear it.

Jeff

Depleted unobtanium bullets, pixie dust for powder and sterling silver brass. Easy to get 3k w 230s with that stuff.

With H-1000 in a 28" 300 win we got 2775 fps in a 300 win.

However we often get 3K plus with the 215 From a 300 win in a 28" WITH h-1000.

I would say he must have a defective chronograph. If you get his load data for the 300 win with 230's I would like to hear it.

Jeff

I was thinking that he might have a defective chrono. Or he's really full of crap.

I was thinking that he might have a defective chrono. Or he's really full of crap.

In my travels to gun shops around the USA(Have probably been to stores in 30+ states) I have found a much larger quantity of BULL*^** than defective chronos.

The real question is "How much further will the Berger 230 gr. Hybrid stay supersonic than lighter .30 caliber bullets?

The answer is "Depends on the other bullet but usually quite a bit.".

Eric B.

when I load up 190 vlds in front of 79.0gr of h1000 I hit a 3025 average. That's out of a 26.25 inch Lilja 3 groove 1-10 twist. Hitting 3000 with 230s out of a win mag seems unlikely to me.

In my travels to gun shops around the USA(Have probably been to stores in 30+ states) I have found a much larger quantity of BULL*^** than defective chronos.

L:DL! Very sad but true. I was at my LGS a couple of weeks ago and I overheard a similar conservation by a couple of guys perusing the rifle rack ... I didn't mean to but I started coughing uncontrollably because ...

bsflag.gif

Holy Smokes!!!!
I would be jumping up and down if I could get 2750fps with a 230..

Can we say, ruined brass, bolt setback.....
You would have to carry a chunk of wood to hammer the bolt open..

I am just getting there with a 300 weatherby bore rider (stepped throat) with a 30" barrel. With H1000 I was at 2914 and with N570 with coated HBN barrel and bullets I am at 3032. It took 86 grains to get there. Maybe Shawn at defensive edge can get there with a 300 win mag +P if he will make one.

I am just getting there with a 300 weatherby bore rider (stepped throat) with a 30" barrel. With H1000 I was at 2914 and with N570 with coated HBN barrel and bullets I am at 3032. It took 86 grains to get there. Maybe Shawn at defensive edge can get there with a 300 win mag +P if he will make one.

I have a 27" SS Lilja 3G 1:9" on my .30 Lara (.300 Jarrett with 37.5 degree shoulder angle) and "hope" to propel the 230s accurately at 3K FPS range.

6%20of%206_zps0l2ub83q.jpg

I was using 89.4 grains in my 300 Rum and still was at 2945ish. RL33 pushed them up above the 3K but I never got any good accuracy. Also this was single feeding. I've since went to the Hornady 220 at mag length good accuracy and about 3080ish. Still need to verify at 1K but at 760 it dropped my buck this year. I still don't really trust my chrono cause its usually off one way or the other................Now for another BS.. or (total mistake by someone or no knowledge what so ever about shooting and the effect of gravity on objects).. that I heard many years ago in a store from another customer. I so much wanted to tell him how dumb he sounded but I was much younger at the time and did not want to be the that guy...Anyway I was listen to a older man about 12 to 15 plus years my senior at the time, he was telling the kid (sales clerk)behind the counter how his gun shot a certain bullet type. Gun was dead on at 200yards site in height and then at 300 it was something like 6 inches low but at 400 it was back a few inches high and almost dead on again at 500. I did ask him to explain again how he was coming up with this and for the life of me he thought his bullet was doing some type of sign wave type of flight. For as I could tell he was not making any adjustment or holding over from what he was saying. Since the young kid behind the counter was really eating this up I just put on my ******** face, bit my tong really hard. and said WOW that's something and went to far end of the counter so I would not have to listen any more. Also there was another clerk putting some ammo away and I need some 06 rounds. I had the other sales guy ask me if I had heard and told him yes. He told me the guy had been talking this up for about 5 plus minutes and he the other clerk was going to have to straighten out the younger help they had resently hired. This all took place at the Shootin Den in Colorado Springs about 1998 or 99. I think to this day is been the wildest thing I have ever heard come out of someone that was completely convinced there gun shot this way.

We tried it with a 30-378 weatherby with h1000 (95 grains)and we got to 2905 with a 26"barrel and the length was long enough to mag fed still plenty of case space available. I think N570 and seating adjustments we could have got there with 30-378.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.