How about a 300 Win Mag “Modified”?

I love the 300WM and have been shooting it for years. Gotta admit two things I don't like are the belt and the short neck. Any such thing or any way to eliminate the belt and lengthen the neck? I don't want to move up to the R.U.M. Because the WM burns enough powder as it is and supplies all the power and distance I want.
have a look at larrywillis.com

300lapcorrectx600.png

:D LOOKY :D

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/07/the-300-lapua-magnum/

The "Official" .300 Lapua Magnum
While nearly every 30-338 you see in the USA is a wildcat, manually formed by necking-down the .338 Lapua brass, there was an "official" version, the ".300 Lapua Magnum". This was a factory 30-caliber cartridge based on the .338 Lapua Magnum parent case. Lapua produced enough factory ammo to get the .300 Lapua Magnum sanctioned as an official CIP-certified cartridge. QuickLOAD includes the .300 Lapua Magnum in its load database, and QuickDESIGN has complete CIP cartridge specifications. Unfortunately, the .300 Lapua Magnum is no longer in production. For you cartridge collectors, we're not even sure if Lapua ever produced brass with a distinctive "300 Lapua Magnum" headstamp. However Vihtavuori does include .300 Lapua Magnum load data in the current Vihtavuori Load Manual. That reloading guide shows the .300 Lapua Magnum can drive a 220gr HPBT Sierra MatchKing at 3044 fps with a max charge of VV 24N41 powder. The .300 Lapua Magnum can push the 30-caliber 155gr Lapua Scenar at nearly 3500 fps with VV N170 powder. That's impressive performance indeed!

About the same cartridge length.
.300 WM vs .300 NM

.300 Norma Magnum Rim diameter 14.93 mm (.588 in)

.300 Winchester Magnum Rim diameter 13.5 mm (.532 in)

Need bigger bolt face for Norma.

300-Win-Mag-vs-300-Norma-Mag-vs-338-Lapua-Mag.jpg

Last edited:
I love the 300WM and have been shooting it for years. Gotta admit two things I don't like are the belt and the short neck. Any such thing or any way to eliminate the belt and lengthen the neck? I don't want to move up to the R.U.M. Because the WM burns enough powder as it is and supplies all the power and distance I want.
30 Newton

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.