How far is to far

Chevy21057

Hi. New to this web site. I was just wondering how far is to far. For a 22.250 on coyotes. Im shooting 50 grain seirras over 38g h380.

I'm guessing you're asking at what range the energy level drops off to not be an efficient killer. I just pulled up the chart for Hornandy Superformance with a 50gr v-max, at 500yds they claim 445ftlb of energy. I'll probably be argued with here and mis-quoted and whatever else but. If I were shooting that load from a capable rifle with good glass in the right weather, ie wind wasn't blowing much I wouldn't have an issue sending one towards a coyote at that range. You can find all sorts of discussions and ballistic tests and what ever else to both support my theory and argue against it. I'm confident enough in myself to accurately make that shot, I've been shooting since I was a little fella too. If you've shot to that range with that load and are certain you can make that shot and quickly dispatch that animal rock on.
Good luck happy hunting

I don't think dogbuster is too far off. That's in calm wind and ONLY if you practice at that distance... a lot. I try to limit my shots with the 22-250 to about 400 or less, but I think I'm the limiting factor and not the round. If you're hitting paper/steel at 500yds with confidence, go for it.

Thanks for the replys. The shot i took was about 700 yards from a good rest with no wind. I came close enough to him that he jumped up and spun around. But walked off. Think i will keep my shots closer. I didnt have my range finder that day and was guessing. Went back later and ranged it

I shot this coyote right behind the shoulder, broadside, at 450 yards. I was using the Hornady 50gr VMax Superformance mentioned above, out a 24" barrel. There was no wind and the coyote is a small young of the year. In other words basically a pup. The bullet did not exit. So one might want to think twice before shooting a large adult coyote at anything over 500 yds with said ammo.
TroyCoyoteAug25450ydsSM.jpg

With the correct bullets for the distence...6-700 yds is not out of the question at all, but you've gotta realize how much more difficult the shots will be at that range.
Even misjudging your wind direction (1 o'clock vs 2 o'clock with an 8mph wind vs 10 mph wind) will result in a miss.
I'm perfectly comfortable with 300 lbs of energy on coyotes with the right hunting bullets, 500 is more than enough for big game.

Thanks for the info. I feel comfortable taking a shot that far with a good rest. But this isnt the norm for around here. We run these coyotes with dogs and usally let the dogs catch them. But on this day we had 3 coyotes away from the dogs. They where laying across a wde open field. And i just couldnt help but try.

By no means am I an expert on ballistics, just relaying info I've read else where that made sense to me. I know the 7mm loads I shoot have a recommended minimum velocity where they have reliable performance, I would venture to say it'd be the same deal with varmint type bullets. Like the other have said practice with whatever load you plan hunting with and let the yote tell you how far is too far. I'm by no means telling you to use a live animal for test media but, read more info and how others have had the load perform at whatever distance you plan to shoot. If you read a few forums that support what you're trying to achieve give it a shot, if you have good results go for it. The only way to know with absolute certainty is to try. I remember growing up people telling me my 243win wasn't good past 300yd, with studying the tables and practice I have no issues shooting to 500yd with the loads I run.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.