How far can i push my 22-250 for coyotes??

Prieto9000

I just got a CZ-550 Varmint Laminated in 22-250 Rem. I reload all my cartridges and bought 55 gr and 60gr NBT´s for coyote hunting.
I have a Nikon Monarch 5-20X44 BDC and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 Target Dot ready to be mounted on my rifle. Not really sure which one to use.

1.-Which scope would you recommend??
2.- How far you think i can kill a coyote with those noslers leaving my barrel al 3600 fps??

I´m sure i can hit them really far, but i´m not sure if they will go down. I was previously shooting them with a .243 win and 500 yd shots weren´t a problem, but this is a considerably smaller bullet.

I would think 500-600 would be about it and the wind is gonna' be your biggest challenge with the .25-.3 BC's between those ranges. Test on a 6" steel tgt. (a coyotes broadside vital zone area) at distance and see how well u can dope the wind. Here's my 22-250 coyote rig for this year shooting the 65 JLK Low Drag @ ~3100 on an 8" tgt. These are 1st-shot connections at 325, 400 and 525 yds. on a windless day--

IMG_1023.jpg

I'd say with the 22-250, I wouldn't push it past 350-400yds on a coyote. The bullet just doesn't have enough energy when it's gets that far out. Unless you're into wounding animals, go with a larger gun for distance shooting.

xdeano

I would use the Nikon and figure out where the BDC hits at it's lowest power, shooting coyotes sucks on to high of power scope!!
Shoot them as far as you can put them in the right spots! I haven't ever ran the ballistics on it but I know it will handle a coyote out to the 500yrd range without a problem, I've shot deer with mine in the 400yrd range and it did a nice job!!

The longest shot I have made on a coyote with a 22-250 was 725 yards. The load was a 55 grain V-Max over 25 grains of Varget. The bullet punched a little hole behind the front shoulder and did not exit. The dog ran 50-75 yards then tipped over. I doubt the bullet even began to expand. The shot was taken during a p-dog hunt just to set a personal distance record on coyotes. That said, I have always considered a 22-250 a 400 yard (max.) coyote rifle as far as getting reliable expansion and penetration.

I've taken more than a few coyotes in the 400 to 500 ballpark with both the 22-250 and 220 Swift. Used 55 grn bullets at 3600 to 3800 ft./sec.

Most were broadside shoulder/heart/lung shots. A few were sitting down facing me. Don't recall any that required a second shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.