How fast is a Coyote?

Okiecat

How fast is a coyote when he is in that walk thats covering ground but not alerted or spooked? This seems to be the shot I get alot, especially @ 500 or more. This is probably not the ideal shot to take but on a coyote what the heck? You got to admit it is interesting and challenging!!!

Do you yell/bark at them to try and get them to stop ?

I've seen very few that wouldn't stop for a good look back once they feel safe out there.
If i have a coyote come in from behind or just milling around way out but won't commit -i spin around into a prone position -put the handcall in my mouth -get lined up on the coyote and blow the call as loud as i can -be ready to shoot when it stops for a look.

I've had them hide behind sagebrush and peek out never offering a shot ,once while laying prone i had one staring from 300-350yds -i curled my leg up and twitched my boot back and forth until it offered a shot -hit a sagebrush limb about 25yds in front of me -oh well.

Over calling is one of the biggest mistakes made -imo-.

If you get one leaving out try the call and be ready to shoot when it stops.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.