How do you spend $$$$ if you never touched it?

Would you buy an expensive car that you'd never seen, touched, sat in, or driven? Absolutely NOT! Same with expensive custom rifles! Shop around a Lot, handle many models, work the actions, see how they fit your cheek, face, and shoulder, try the triggers, etc. Make lots of notes! Select and list your favorite 2 of each feature, and build your custom from this list! Be Sure that you are measured and fitted carefully to your gun before your gunsmith ever starts your build. Have it chambered for the round that you will be happy doing Most of your hunting (shooting) with. A well built, well-fitted gun can be a great blessing and friend for the rest of your life!

How do you guys order custom rifles if you have never seen or held the stock, worked the action or shouldered a similar rifle? Several years ago I commissioned a 4K rifle. Received it and immediately didn't like it. Sold it for what I had in it. I have been able to get my hands on HS Precision, Cooper and Dakota. So I have a few of each. But when I look at all the stocks and different actions and I want to order a 7 Saum I can't be sure I'll like it. So I keep going back to my known rifle brands. How do you guys do it?
Before I sink even a 1,000.00 in a rifle I'm going to be dead sure it's going to fit me physically, aesthetically, and for the purposes intended.

Manners and McMillian will/did actually have a program where they'd send you a sample stock to try before ordering. I suspect they still do.

Agreed. Before I build again I will go to Shot show or similar, put my hands on everything. Or I can just order a HS Precision. I have 3 of their models and love them. I just feel like I'm missing all the goodies I see on the forum and YouTube.
If what you have works for you, you aren't missing anything.

H-S and Bell & Carlson in my opinion are rather highly underrated, they are built for hunters and shooters and generally hold up well.

Unless you're jumping into a hunt or having your gear dropped in by drop you don't need to worry about the extra toughness of the more custom/tactical stocks.

Get them floated and bedded and cut to proper LOP with a good recoil pad and you should be good to go.

I was advised to get: 1/4 chisel, 1/2 chisel, 1/4 gouge, 1/2 gunline barrel channel scraper (thingy with multiple steel disk cutters separated with rubber pads), large cabinet 1/2 round wood file, large 1/2 round wood rasp, smaller versions of the files & rasps - this is for inletting & shaping, I use my Dewalt compound mitre saw with fine tooth set for cutting stock ends for butt pads & forend tips. Bunch of other files for other associated wood & metal tasks. No cheap tools. Dewalt cordless & set of real sharp twist drills & wood bits. Wifey's hair drier when stuff needs to be warm. Dremel for buzzing out old epoxy. Various grades of blue sand paper ending with 320, rubber sanding block. Minwax Poly Rub for finish (good stuff - marked interior but testing it outside in wet, hot, sun, cold on scrap shows its durable). First coat dries within 4-6 hours. 4 to 12 coats depending of wood porosity (laminates, maple, Claro walnut). Cheap, 1 pint will do 10 or so stocks. Nice smooth finish with no exposed pores. Resists yellowing.

Bastogne makes me gush but 1/16 laminates provide soothing confidence with end product, sort of like working with homogenous plastic. My favorite laminate colors are brown/brown, gray/black/blue & a combo of red/brown/gray/blue (sort of garish). Piles of multi colored dust on floor. Laminates feel good on heavy kickers like my .375-.338 with a nice 1" pad.

I love a beautiful wood stock for the pure looks. If I put this much effort in a stock, I would be too afraid to take it out in field though. I've moved away from safe queens at this point, but still appreciate the craftsmanship and beauty.

You said you don't like a short throat. Can a smith re-enter a chamber & lengthen throat without a significant possibility of something going wrong. Is it something easy to fix?
It can be, but many gunsmiths refuse to use a throating reamer. Maybe a gunsmith can explain, but nobody has been able to explain clearly to me.

Be Sure that you are measured and fitted carefully to your gun before your gunsmith ever starts your build.
Who does this in the USA? It should be done, but American gunsmithing rarely does this fitting step, IME.

Manners and McMillian will/did actually have a program where they'd send you a sample stock to try before ordering. I suspect they still do.
I hear they did. I asked McMillan what they could do to get my hands on one. All I was told is buy one and it will be fine. 🤔

H-S and Bell & Carlson in my opinion are rather highly underrated, they are built for hunters and shooters and generally hold up well.
I have a Bell&Carlson. I agree. It is a good stiff stock.

Get them floated and bedded and cut to proper LOP with a good recoil pad and you should be good to go.
Those are critical steps to fiberglass stock fit.

How do you guys order custom rifles if you have never seen or held the stock, worked the action or shouldered a similar rifle? Several years ago I commissioned a 4K rifle. Received it and immediately didn't like it. Sold it for what I had in it. I have been able to get my hands on HS Precision, Cooper and Dakota. So I have a few of each. But when I look at all the stocks and different actions and I want to order a 7 Saum I can't be sure I'll like it. So I keep going back to my known rifle brands. How do you guys do it?
Maybe inquire of the smith if there are identical rigs sold in your area, or within distance you are willing to travel to see. Seller could contact owners with your contact info for making contact if they are willing to meet and show their firearm.