How do you spend $$$$ if you never touched it?

rharfo

How do you guys order custom rifles if you have never seen or held the stock, worked the action or shouldered a similar rifle? Several years ago I commissioned a 4K rifle. Received it and immediately didn't like it. Sold it for what I had in it. I have been able to get my hands on HS Precision, Cooper and Dakota. So I have a few of each. But when I look at all the stocks and different actions and I want to order a 7 Saum I can't be sure I'll like it. So I keep going back to my known rifle brands. How do you guys do it?

Last edited:
Well,to me, the stock and balance have the biggest impact on feel. Fortunately, there are only a few fiberglass stock typesm unless you are super sensitive. The NRA show is a great place to feel stocks. Another option is to call the stock maker. Maybe they have a way to get one in your hand??

I also think you have to be wary of oddball patterns like putting a #5 or larger barrel in a sub-20 oz stock. Most would hate this. …..or a super low comb stock with big optics.

LOP is critical to comfort, especially when position shooting or standing. I like a 14" lop. I can be happy 13.75-14.25.

Actions are tricky. I usually get the action in hand before the build. Custom actions are all pretty smooth, but you still need to know what specs you like.

Last, you have to know your specs….things like barrel length, balance point length of pull, sling stud location, rails, color and butt pad are all highly personal.

Sometimes you screw up. I have a 458 Lott with a 14 3/8 LOP. Way too long. I need to send it back to be shortened to 13 7/8".

This is a point of some concern. I've been a little anxious on a current build. I have handled similar actions, but not the exact one I ordered. Same with the stock. I ordered a Mesa and have handled an AG but not the Mesa. Sometimes you pray that all of your planning works out.

And I'd like to add, no local gunsmiths or gun shops have any of the gear mentioned on this forum. I have been to Shot Show and NRA show but last one was 2016. Tons of new stuff out there.
When I go to my local range I usually see wood stocked 700 or similar, no Mcwhorter or Gunwerks! I have shot a few comps at Peacemaker but most guns are heavy chassis type.

Well at least you recovered what you had in it. There is something to say about the peace of mind about buying a rifle off the rack.
Agreed. Before I build again I will go to Shot show or similar, put my hands on everything. Or I can just order a HS Precision. I have 3 of their models and love them. I just feel like I'm missing all the goodies I see on the forum and YouTube.

Didn't have 14 lop I ordered, , didn't like the manners stock - square ish forend, spiral barrel was sharp, wasn't friendly to carry bare hand, muzzle brake wasn't what I ordered.
That makes a lot of sense. When you order a specific part or dimension and something is substituted without your input. I'm guessing the shop wouldn't fix it?

Was it well documented? I think I have worn down a couple gunsmiths with all my details in writing! I think writing is important, even after a verbal agreement is made. I also pick up the parts. It seems like most smiths don't get a break on the parts, so if you buy them, they should be right!

That makes a lot of sense. When you order a specific part or dimension and something is substituted without your input. I'm guessing the shop wouldn't fix it?

Was it well documented? I think I have worn down a couple gunsmiths with all my details in writing! I think writing is important, even after a verbal agreement is made. I also pick up the parts. It seems like most smiths don't get a break on the parts, so if you buy them, they should be right!
Yes, build order was very specific. Gunsmith wouldn't fix. Another reason I sold it. Gunsmith has been thriving for years so I guess I'm the only one.

Almost always a rifle can't be evaluated as to fit and handling until an exact duplicate is used. Lots of things don't feel quite right until the item is handled & used.

I do my own stock work and prefer laminated stocks. Many times I have transferred barreled actions among stocks until a good fit is achieved. Recontouring with a wood rasp is common - can't do that with hollow synthetic stocks, mechanical fit acheived. Stock pitch may be changed. Comb height and pull length may be changed. Barrels can be recontoured and/or shortened. The stock of my .204R heavy weight, see it hit impact rifle, is now on a 6.5 Creedmoor. Gradually, optimum fit and feel is acheived without serious gunsmithing. No "blue printing" but true receiver face with threads & lap lugs - this needs to be done only 1 time by guys who fit barrel (not me). I do real good epoxy work.

I don't do checkering but stipple laminates. I have a nice Bastonge walnut stock on a .20P and have been tempted to get into checkering but fear a bad job.

I served as a gofer for a custom rifle maker/gunsmith for a few years, like $4-$6 K jobs for super picky clients and have some feel for the agony of this stuff. I have been given good offers on selling some rifles but when the buyer asks about the smith who did the work & I respond by saying me, interest evaporates. If it feels good, looks OK & shoots good be happy.

I have been given good offers on selling some rifles but when the buyer asks about the smith who did the work & I respond by saying me, interest evaporates. If it feels good, looks OK & shoots good be happy.
I find this funny! To me, quality should speak for itself! I know many disagree. Actually most value factory rifles higher per $ spent.