How do I add a land ownership overlay to google earth?

wpwarren

I am trying to figure out how to add a land ownership overlay to google earth. Specifically for the state of colorado. I would love to buy a new gps and map chip, but that isn't in the cards for a few months. Does anyone have a link to a good source of information on how to do this? Even better would be succinct directions with a link to the map server that holds these overlays.

Thanks!

I believe this data resides at the county level. Some counties have a GIS system (geographic information Systems) and some do not. I'm not aware of anything that would cover the state and if it exists, it is probably classified.

Custer County Colorado, you can find their GIS system here: Records Search

I believe this data resides at the county level. Some counties have a GIS system (geographic information Systems) and some do not. I'm not aware of anything that would cover the state and if it exists, it is probably classified.

Custer County Colorado, you can find their GIS system here: Records Search

I struck out there, I know there are print maps available from the BLM. Does anyone know if these are available online?

Thanks, that worked. I knew there was a way to add the blm map. I am new to google earth, is there a way to make that map layer (or is it an overlay?) more transparent so I can see forest service roads beneath that layer?

Reading this I found out something about Google Earth I did not know. When you get a GPS unit you can load all your way points and tracks on Google Earth. I now can look at all the roads, tanks, way points and anything else I put in the GPS on Google Earth. I hunt forest only so don't need land owner boundaries but it is cool now I don't have to flip back and forth from GPS to Google Earth.

Thanks, that worked. I knew there was a way to add the blm map. I am new to google earth, is there a way to make that map layer (or is it an overlay?) more transparent so I can see forest service roads beneath that layer?

I'm not sure how you'd increase transparency using this method.
But if you don't mind trying another program, you might try Caltopo.com. It's pretty easy to use. Just select the 'Land Management' layer to add public lands.

Attachments

• CO.jpg
    CO.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 280
I believe it works only if the county has the technology online. We have some pretty sophisticated land programs at work but they work off county GIS.

No County GIS, no go. Smaller rural counties cant afford it, which are probably the counties you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.