How dirty is a NEW savage supposed to be?????

marioq

I just picked up a savage 111LRH in 6.5x284. The guy I bought it from said he never fired it. He is on here too. When I received it from FFL, the barrel was obviously dirty. I looked down it and could see all kinds of little particles. I cleaned it and after 14 patches, still dirty. Is that normal from Savage? what should be expected in terms of how dirty a NEW rifle should be.... It actually was more dirty than my Abolt 300 after firing 15 round or so... Due to new barrel?? Just checking to see what Ya'll think.

Thanks
Mario

Can't speak for Savage, but I have had some factory test fired guns that looked like they got one dry patch as an afterthought, and then a heavy dose the preservative grease. I also had a Beretta pistol go back for a warranty fix and it was returned so dirty it was unbelievable.

Whenever I go to a gun shop and look down the bores of new firearms, they are generally dirty . . .

Thank you for the insight. Like I said, not that I didn't believe the guy I bought it from.... Just never bought and cleaned a new gun. Do I thank you for the confirmation.

My 6.5x284 Savage was horrible too. Much worse than my 204 and 17. I hit hard with a nylon brushl, accelerator, and wipe out. Once the nasty grease or whatever they used was gone, the copper came out, once that was out I did the break in process. It took 20 1 shot then clean sessions, a couple 3 - 5 shot sessions. It was good ready by 30 rounds. I have 200 through it now and it cleans up nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts