How close is too close for scope mount?

FURMAN

Is this too close? It makes me nervous. It's about .005".

Attachments

• image-1769571267.jpg
    image-1769571267.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 155
Is this too close? It makes me nervous. It's about .005".

I would have to say yes for several reasons.

First is that if you watch slow motion Video of a rifle being fired the scope can ,And normally does
flex from recoil. If it is close to the barrel, it can strike the barrel (This can not be good for the optics).

Secondly, you don't have enough room for scope covers if you wanted to install them.

On very mild recoiling rifles you normally want the scope as close to the bore as possible without touching. but on hard recoiling rifles you run the risk of damaging an expensive scope.

I would recommend going to the next ring height.

J E CUSTOM

First is that if you watch slow motion Video of a rifle being fired the scope can ,And normally does
flex from recoil. If it is close to the barrel, it can strike the barrel (This can not be good for the optics).

Secondly, you don't have enough room for scope covers if you wanted to install them.

On very mild recoiling rifles you normally want the scope as close to the bore as possible without touching. but on hard recoiling rifles you run the risk of damaging an expensive scope.

J E CUSTOM

+1! I like to have enough clearance were I can easily install/remove a scope cap or coat.

J E CUSTOM

Scopes flexing and barrels whipping about when the shot is fired is a very good reason to have a much greater clearance than .005". IMO, anything less than the thickness of a nickle is far too little.

Thanks guys. That is what I thought. This setup worked on a Benchmark #5 but obviously does not work on a Bartlein 3b.

I ended up putting the next higher rings on. I feel much better now and cheek weld is still good. I can put my scope coat on now. Thanks for the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts