How close is too close?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by diderr, Feb 18, 2013.

1. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

my new barrel is going to put my 50mm mark iv about 1/16 inch above the barrel. should I be looking at getting new rings? thanks.

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I think, which is just my opinioin...That as long as it's atleast 1/16" above, you should be fine, and nothing should be affected, b/c barrel harmonics aren't gonna jump 1/16 of an inch...

I'm pretty sure that as long as nothing's touching, then you should be fine.

3. JackinSD

JackinSD Well-Known Member

The only concern I would have is if you plan on putting caps on the scope. There will be need to be room for them to fit. 1/16" will likely be too close.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

NO!
    That Is perfict.

J E CUSTOM

5. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

I like about three times that but only because I run pop ups on everything.

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Good idea if you use some of the flip up covers or have a stock with a low cheek piece.

The down side to high scope mounting is the scope to bore centerline. The greater the centerline
    dimension the greater the error if you cant the scope and a change in the point of conversion.

J E CUSTOM

7. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have a couple close.Main hunting I have srew in cap when not in use and other a screw inclear just to protect main lens.

8. Bullet bumper

Bullet bumper Well-Known Member

Well it all depends on how much recoil the cartridge has. Under recoil the scope objective can flex . With big recoil and long scopes a lot more than 1/16 is possible .
    Make sure the front ring is as close to the objective taper as possible to reduce overhang at the front. Keep an eye on the scope surface to see if any contact mark shows up. If not no big problem .
    In a low recoil gun I can't see a flexing issue .

9. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

it's going on a 308 win, and I dont use a lens cap on the objective. Thanks for all the responses.