How Close Can I go to the Front of the Rail...?

If you change scopes and it is shorter it may require trimming to allow correct eye relief, but as it is should be fine if you see well through scope.

I cut off a couple notches on one of mine with out issue and it also had only 0.006" between bottom of turret and rail. Scope's been moved to a different rifle and it didn't require cutting the same brand and model rail.

Mounted a new scope this weekend on a 270WSM. Am I too close to the front of the rail as shown in the photos with the tapered portion of the front objective? The objective bell is also close to the barrel but not as close as it is to the front edge of the rail. I didn't measure either but wanted to check before shooting it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Yes they are both close but should be ok, just beware when carrying through brush. Its a good place for sticks to wedge and maybe cause a performance issued when it counts the most.

.060" minimum.
We have been "shocked" by the measured whip within a system. Areas that if we had not seen with our own eyes- and measured- we would not believe would exist. Clearances of .040" at scope levels, chassis, and barrel levels have shown impact at multiple dis-assembly events. The more your rifles recoil deviates from a single plane/vector the greater the whip. Think about a semi- the area behind the wheels in the trailer will see g events up past 90g's- therefore don't load fragiles after the wheels. The scope is seeing 5-50ft/sec acceleration, caliber/force and weight dependent. The system does not act as a "single straight line/rod" it will go into a sinosoidal whip event. How many of us have watched a barrel orbit that has a can at its end... that orbit is not localized.

.060" minimum.
We have been "shocked" by the measured whip within a system. Areas that if we had not seen with our own eyes- and measured- we would not believe would exist. Clearances of .040" at scope levels, chassis, and barrel levels have shown impact at multiple dis-assembly events. The more your rifles recoil deviates from a single plane/vector the greater the whip. Think about a semi- the area behind the wheels in the trailer will see g events up past 90g's- therefore don't load fragiles after the wheels. The scope is seeing 5-50ft/sec acceleration, caliber/force and weight dependent. The system does not act as a "single straight line/rod" it will go into a sinosoidal whip event. How many of us have watched a barrel orbit that has a can at its end... that orbit is not localized.
I just re-read that the OP is shooting a 270wsm. Agreed that will have quite a bit of recoil and if someone has quantified movement of .060 then we all should take note and allow for it. Barrel dimensions, taper etc, should all be taken into account. I had a Cooper rifle in .270 Weatherby and put on a scope with too low rings. Could barely slide a dollar bill between the front bell and the barrel. Never had any issues with it though. But with the low rings I had to lean my head down in order to sight correctly which put my eyebrow too close to the rear bell. I have a scar in my right eyebrow.

I just re-read that the OP is shooting a 270wsm. Agreed that will have quite a bit of recoil and if someone has quantified movement of .060 then we all should take note and allow for it. Barrel dimensions, taper etc, should all be taken into account. I had a Cooper rifle in .270 Weatherby and put on a scope with too low rings. Could barely slide a dollar bill between the front bell and the barrel. Never had any issues with it though. But with the low rings I had to lean my head down in order to sight correctly which put my eyebrow too close to the rear bell. I have a scar in my right eyebrow.
I agree with all noted: clearances of .010" might be sufficient. The question - not arguing- is where the sinusodial event is in full phase - maximum additive value. Areas will be of "zero" moving further and further until a maximum phase will occur in both plus and minus values along the base line. We have a chassis from a popular company-- not against the company in any way- as noted we glue our actions into the chassis to reduce a continuing amplification or reflective recoil forces. The mag well was clearance .040". After around 800rds the little bar just below the feed port- was wearing a groove into the chassis. How this thing was moving .040" and wearing a groove into the aluminum chassis was - not believable (25lb 300Norma). We have seen the best of bedding allow a heavy barrel to impact the stock in front of the action multiple times. Again it would be hard to believe the 1.5" barrel moved that much- but the system sure did. Scopes can go into serious whip.. this has been documented on high speed camera... Think about stories about rails sheering from an action: it is not due to a singular vector. If we can sheer bolts on an action then given the right circumstances scope bells and many other things go where they are not supposed to during a firing event.
A priority reason to make a "quiet" recoiling gun.

Mounted a new scope this weekend on a 270WSM. Am I too close to the front of the rail as shown in the photos with the tapered portion of the front objective? The objective bell is also close to the barrel but not as close as it is to the front edge of the rail. I didn't measure either but wanted to check before shooting it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
If it's not touching don't worry

I just put a big Vortex on a 7mm this weekend and had to cut the rail also.
Cut it to end of receiver, sanded it then black magic marker, looks good!

Just for giggles can you post an overall picture of the scope and receiver? Cheers

Yes they are both close but should be ok, just beware when carrying through brush. Its a good place for sticks to wedge and maybe cause a performance issued when it counts the most.
I was thinking this exact same thing!

You didn't say what material the rail is made of but the clearance you have should be fine. From a cosmetic point of view you could cut it off and brownells has touch up pens for both aluminum and steel that reblack the bare metal. They look like felt tip markers but are charged with the appropriate chemical.