How Bullet Weight Affects Speed And Recoil

I think if you used the right powder (not the same powder) for different bullet weights, to get same load pressure, the recoil differences would follow bullet weight more closely.
The different powder causing more or less recoil is almost entirely a function of the mass of the powder. A reduction in the mass of the powder for the same pressure will always have less recoil. Velocity is time under that pressure curve so equal pressure might not equal the same velocity, depends what the pressure curve looks like.

Ok, not to beat this dead horse, BUT there is this concept of "area under the curve" -- So a slow powder will gradually increase in pressure --, especially useful with a heavy bullet that would otherwise cause a pressure spike. A faster powder peaks quicker. But with a light bullet, you may need that to get that extra velocity before it exits the muzzle. Correctly, then, shooting a light for caliber bullet with a "slow" powder gets you poor velocity. Cause the bullet got away before the powder could expend all its energy.

Now, back to area under the curve. The total energy delivered to the bullet is the average pressure x the length of the barrel. But the shooter feels the "peak". And if you have a light gun and a snappy peak pressure, you feel that as felt recoil. Slower curves, less high peak, but with MORE area under the curve means less felt recoil, but more energy delivered to the bullet. A slow powder makes that possible.

So goes my logic. I don't know if its right. Would be good to see "curves" on some guns that shoot "heavy" but feel light and vice versa......

Bang - Slam

Screenshot (714).png

This is why the tiny little .22-.250, 7.7 twist is one of my favorites. A 3-ton reptile in my back yard would need the .375.
My impulse is to not get recoil bruises and a charge of 68.5 gr. of H4350 would hurt less than a smaller charge of 4064 providing same velocity.

Last edited: