How Bullet Weight Affects Speed And Recoil

A better comparison would be to calculate the relative differences between bullet weights that were shot at their attainable velocities. Generally, reloaders don't use lighter bullets with charges intended for heavier bullets.
Recoil difference would be much closer in a more realistic comparison.
Perhaps, but that was not their goal for the video. I can only imagine what it takes to set up this short video. I appreciate their time, money, and effort in sharing the video. You have the opportunity to request since they claim they listen to their customers.

While I can accept that basically having a max charge with the heaviest bullet and then reducing bullet weight with the same charge will result in their findings, I believe those differences would be reduced given equal loading pressure loadings.

I appreciate as Feenix does, the effort they put into testing and the related expenses.

What caught me by surprise was that the factory loaded 120 grain had more measured recoil than the 130 grain bullet, even though the 130 grain was almost 125 fps faster. Wonder if is related to burn rate?

Hhmmm, I think more testing is in order.

I have no data and only anecdotal observations, but my 30-06 with N560 kicks harder, with a 185 grain going 2900 fps, than my 30N with N565, with a 205 going 3025 fps. I have two 280ai's and one uses N560 and one uses Retumbo, and both shoot 168 Bergers at a little over 3k fps - and the N560 load kicks way harder. The recoil is being measured by my shoulder and not any equipment.

I have no data and only anecdotal observations, but my 30-06 with N560 kicks harder, with a 185 grain going 2900 fps, than my 30N with N565, with a 205 going 3025 fps. I have two 280ai's and one uses N560 and one uses Retumbo, and both shoot 168 Bergers at a little over 3k fps - and the N560 load kicks way harder. The recoil is being measured by my shoulder and not any equipment.
The weight of your rifle is your friend when it comes to recoil.

https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

30 Gibbs
1691981162170.png

.300WSM
1691981094837.png

Last edited:
My cousin and I grew up together, brothers really. In the early 80's he had a Rem 700 BDL in 7 RM, which I reloaded for, shot a lot. I had a late 70's 700 BDL in 25-06. Essentially identical guns. One with a magnum bolt face, one not. I shot them both and he did as well. His weighed a smidge more -- heavier but not longer barrel.

That **** 25-06 would do more black and blue on your shoulder than the 7 RM, over say 50 rounds working up a load. Of course, the numbers say otherwise. The stocks look identical. Decent straight walnut. Basic recoil pad on both.

Recoil in my opinion has another component -- rate of rise. Science term. If a big gun bumps you hard, but gives your tissues some time to accept the blow, the damage to your body *might* be less than a light gun that just "pops" your shoulder hard and fast.

Of course there are comb angles and other factors usually that make the water murky. But in this case, I swear, the gun that should have shot lighter, my cousin and I agree, shot with more damage to the shooter.

Recoil in my opinion has another component -- rate of rise. Science term. If a big gun bumps you hard, but gives your tissues some time to accept the blow, the damage to your body *might* be less than a light gun that just "pops" your shoulder hard and fast.

First thought when reading was a gas vs inertia driven shotgun. To me, it's a recoil difference in my Benelli's vs Berettas. Inertia vs gas.

A significant factor, but usually less considered, is cartridge efficiency.
Unburned powder, formed as a slug (with it's mass) traveling with/against the bullet, adding to bullet weight in the bore.

There is potential for less efficient burn with this testing.

Last edited: