How 'bout the 9.3x62

I am intrigued by this caliber, ordered some blaser and mauser barrels for my gun, basically a lighter version of the 375 H& H or the across the pond 35 whelen. It is an awesome round a 276gr TSX at 2300fps is capable to 300 yards with a lot less kick, about 20% less if you do the math. It can be housed in a standard lenght action and is actually legal in most African Countries for buff that require a min of 375, it is an exception. I am going to try in on my NF moose hunt next fall and will prob hunt bear with it next year as well.
Very nice caliber, lots of ammo out there. Just a neat round:D

I am intrigued by this caliber, ordered some blaser and mauser barrels for my gun, basically a lighter version of the 375 H& H or the across the pond 35 whelen. It is an awesome round a 276gr TSX at 2300fps is capable to 300 yards with a lot less kick, about 20% less if you do the math. It can be housed in a standard lenght action and is actually legal in most African Countries for buff that require a min of 375, it is an exception. I am going to try in on my NF moose hunt next fall and will prob hunt bear with it next year as well.
Very nice caliber, lots of ammo out there. Just a neat round:D

Can't add much to this. One of the workhorse cartridges on the planet that just works. The 338's have more bullets available to play with.

9.3 is a STAPLE of Scandinavian hunting. Most are old mausers and man they shoot. I have been hunting over here with the Swede's for the last six months and the majority of them shoot a 9.3x62 or 9.3x57, your other options include 6.5x55, 30-06 or 308. Your not going to find much of anything else. They like the 9.3 because of the knockdown power for Russian Boars and Moose. Granted, have been cleanly killing moose with the 6.5 for generations, but the 6.5 is marginal at best for the big boars. That a quick look in the trophy photo forum and you will see why. Whether I buy it here in Sweden or wait until I get back to the states, the 9.3x62 is on my short list for sure!

bronco
that sounds promising, Ive shot some big Russians, but didnt realize they were harder to knock down than a moose, I have seen some pics of them over there and they look HUGE and mean. The plate on my largest Russian to date was 3" thick and weight 300# but nothing like the ones Ive seen from over there, Pretty cool that you have hunted over there, I was also interested to learn the 6.5 isnt the ruling caliber as Ive read in a lot of places, but that the military 9.3 is alive and well. I am excited about the caliber and cant wait to shoot it, if you have any cool pics will you post em? I would love to visit sweeden and hunt one day.
Thanks
Dale

Dale, I wouldn't say they are much harder to kill. (insert the well placed bullet comment, blah,blah..,) Moose in Sweden are typically shot at close range in front of dogs and from what I have been told they are not that tough. 6.5x55 can handle that no problem. That being said I would be OK with a moose going a hundred yards though the brush after a well placed shot. With a big pig you want them to drop. NOBODY wants to tromp through the forest looking for a possibly wounded and ****ed off pig.

Can wait for the season to start. Pictures will follow for sure. I am really exited to add some different animals to the wall/freezer. As I get more established a broad invite will go out to everyone. I still have a lot to learn, contacts to make and I need to get my own rifles in country. The 9.3x62 should scratch that 35 Whelen itch I have been having lately. I will be over here for 3-5 years, so if your serious lets stay in contact and we will see what comes from this season. No harm in sharing the wealth.

I ordered a CZ 550 American 9.3x62 with Kevlar stock which should be in tomorrow. It will be used for elk, hog and hopefully bear in the future. Before I get too old, a brown bear hunt is on my bucket list. I already have a 300 Win Mag and a 358 Win both of which I really like for deer elk and hogs, but they are on the weak side for brown bear. I will top the 9.3 with a Leupold VX ii 2-7x33 which I also have on my 358.

The 9.3x62 has international renown and as such the ammo is more available worldwide than the ASquare 338.06. Both will do the job well but for sheer lack of problems I'd go withthe 9.3x62. Good luck.

Man, what a topic. I have a 35 Whelen and love it to pieces, but the 9.3x62 seems like it is everything the Whelen is, plus some. With higher BC'ed 250's it would certainly have some good reach when loaded up well and with the 286 PT, well, that has to be right on the heels of the 375 in a lighter recoiling and more mild mannered cartridge. I like the looks of the Ruger African in the 9.3x62. Seems like it would be a great package. Man, this place has my mind wandering!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.