300 Weatherby know how...

adk hunter

Who would like to share their knowledge on the 300B? Comparing up and down the fast 30 scale real world results pretty please!! Having some good conversations with wilderness outfitters and most have suggested the titled cartridge. Crazy?!

I have a few years to play and can always stay down a comfort level with my .280AI's..

Favorite load (factory) suggestions. I am not looking for a light weight browsmasher. Reasonable weight to equal the laws of Newton! Also, I live in the terrible state of NY where some idiot passed a law at midnight so we can't buy ammo online. Here ammo on shelves runs some weatherby, mostly 300 win mag, 300wsm. Never but once seen 300rum. No 30 nosler, heck .280 AI is just starting to be "plentiful", Ugh!

Scope pairing if we don't get too far off track. Max range 5-800 for us woodchucks.

Thanks, Joe

Who would like to share their knowledge on the 300B? Comparing up and down the fast 30 scale real world results pretty please!! Having some good conversations with wilderness outfitters and most have suggested the titled cartridge. Crazy?!

I have a few years to play and can always stay down a comfort level with my .280AI's..

Favorite load (factory) suggestions. I am not looking for a light weight browsmasher. Reasonable weight to equal the laws of Newton! Also, I live in the terrible state of NY where some idiot passed a law at midnight so we can't buy ammo online. Here ammo on shelves runs some weatherby, mostly 300 win mag, 300wsm. Never but once seen 300rum. No 30 nosler, heck .280 AI is just starting to be "plentiful", Ugh!

Scope pairing if we don't get too far off track. Max range 5-800 for us woodchucks.

Thanks, Joe
You do not handload?

Thanks, Joe

Perhaps it's easier if you tell us what is readily available off the shelves for you.

If you dont handload or have an issue spending $4/round on ammo dont buy a 300 weatherby.

A 300 win, 300 prc, 300 rum, etc will do the same thing cheaper if you plan to shoot factory ammo.

I do hand load. Just had not wished to get into another full blown project but I have been pulled down that road before. I have seen the ammo very similar priced it is availability here that is poor. Not against factory if I can get a flavor to work then just get a bunch in same lot number. I have to say the win mag is way more available here and is certainly $10 less per box. I don't see the win mag being the same animal as the prc, nosler or rum. Not considering the prc. Two choices of factory ammo do not entice me.

IF you tell me 300 or 300wsm then I feel I have that already covered with my .280AI. Not exact but dam close.

FEENIX- 300 wm, 300 wsm and '06 seem most prevalent. Next level is the .338 win mag. Maybe that is nearer the 300 weatherby? I feel oddly out of intelligence in the magnum arena. (no kids here anymore to make me feel dumb everyday)

I don't plan on shooting this 1,000 times. My idea was to use my .280 then go up and shoot field positions and angles when I get the rifle dialed in. Not afraid of recoil. We used to hunt with 12ga slugs and turkey loads. I am going to put the time in to be ready for the moment. If I still feel more surgical with my .280AI then that will be my plan.

A 300 weatherby with a 200 grain nosler partition is a real monster killer. My favorite load is 89 gr of Norma 217 powder with a Winchester magnum primer. As far as rifles the vanguard stainless with 26 inch barrel shoots very well. Hate to say it but unless things have changed the vanguards shoot better than the markV. If you want a 24 inch barrel the weatherby has little advantage over the 300 win mag.

An elk is a tough animal. Much tougher than moose. If you get a bad hit on a big bull elk you have a long day ahead of you. I will admit I am a fan of Nosler partitions. When the Nosler is losing the nose when penetrating it is destroying a lot of tissue. I see no reason with 160 partitions your 280 would not be sufficient, Maybe a few 175,s in your pocket if you are in close

Thanks for the input. I have shot and loaded every combo on earth for my .280. Hammers, TTSX 150'S, 160 AB, 150LRAB,150NP and Fed trophy bonded 160's too. Just would have to pick one and load up a pile. Streach them out at my buddies field. Then it is a matter of a few extra clicks. I understand the different energy categories. And when someone who does it for a living shares with me I try to listen!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.