300 weatherby for large game like elk and bear???

My mom thought it was too big of a gun. But when she was young r the only reason she bought a 38 special was cause someone was being a crap head and Held a gun to her head in when she looked out the Window of her Apartment like 20 years ago

Sounds like she lived in a bad part of town. Sure hope you're not being raised in the same neighborhood. If you ever get a chance and If there are rifle competitions in your area, go out to one. Gun people are very friendly people and are willing to share their knowledge. Ask some of the competitors to give you some tips, thus will save you lots of ammo and time in learning how to shoot.

Hello K98

The 300 Weatherby is a fine cartrage, and it will harvest game like no tomorrow, I jumped into the Magnum world in my mid life, it was lots of fun.

Now that I aged I returned to my starting grounds where it all started.
A plain boaring old school 30/06.

Funny thing is that the manufactors came up with some kool bullets that actually work, then the gun powder folks give us old tool heads some power to get those bullets down range .

BULLET WEIGHT180 GR. SIE SPBT
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderSuprform
Bullet Diameter.308"
C.O.L.3.300"
Starting Load
Grains54.0
Velocity (ft/s)2,628
Pressure46,200 PSI

Maximum Load
Grains59.7
Velocity (ft/s)2,840
Pressure57,600 PSI

I stepped up the game plan and reamed out the throat to 3.700 COL for Hornady 178gr ELD-X with 63gr of Super Performance @ 2928 ft-per seconds 3400 ft-lbs energy muzzle.

1800 ft-lbs energy at 400 meters.

The recoil of my 26" Heavy Barrel Remington Long Range, 11 lbs +/- is some what manageable for my 190 lb body.
Pretty much like the new version of the Carlos Hathcock idea. You'll like looking up his accomplishments.

Of course you get to decide what works for you and your shooting style K.

The nice thing about the old school 30/06 is that it kinda offers a few different categories.

-Frugal over all costs on ammo.
-Mid range costs on powder if you jump into reloading.
-Endless days of range time.
-One can reduce load charge for longer barrel life. "308 soft winchester loading."
-Load hot to reach out there.
-Load heavy semi pointed 200 or 220gr blunt noise for hogs, bears, dangerous game.
Or jump into F Class or PRS challange shooting.

Kinda of the middle between things, but it's up to you on what your after.

Again I truely enjoyed my high power magnum days, but I really appreciate the chance to return to the tamer side of things.

My first successful long distance shoots didn't come about until I scaled back.
F Class shooting is taking over, and my Elk Harvesting days still remain.

Yes,,, not the long distant hunting thing, but with a steady rest and smooth hands I'm still able to get things done.

Good luck on what ever you find my friend.

Western Canada pal Don

No we live in a different place that was when she was in her 20s. I was born when she was 41 and i will see if there are any and will try to go to the gun comp. But I dont think we have any long range shooting where I live. The range we go to has a 200 yard range but no longer than that. There is one that we haven't gone to yet so mabye they have a longer one

Many variables to deal with here. If you're dead set on the 30 cal, look at a 308, 30/06, 300wm. The 300 weatherby is a fine cartridge, but is a lot of extra cost for not much benefit. If you need more than a 300 wm, step up to a 33 cal.
Define how far you're going to shoot and it will help people make recommendations.
I'll share some observations from my groups elk hunt in 2017. My group of three all shot good bulls (6x6 or 5x6). One hunter shot a dandy 6x6 at 402yds with a 308 w/175gr Berger handload. It went directly through the center of the shoulder and exited just behind the opposite side shoulder. Elk died in 20-30 yards. Couldn't ask any more from the cartridge or the shooter.
Other 2 bulls were shot with a 300wm w/215 Berger. They both barely managed to take a few steps. There was a difference in the shock to the animal, but not a difference in the results. Now, if you expect to shoot past 450 yards, I'd rule out the 308, at least for big game. However, the 308 is my favorite all-around cartridge. Not enough of a difference between the 30/06 and the 308 in practical terms.
So, if I were you buy a 308 for the lack of recoil, price of ammo, inherent accuracy, and the effectiveness of killing s**t. Good luck

If you want a left hand rifle I'd check out a Tikka and get a 260, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x55. All more than capable of humanely taking an elk. You will enjoy shooting it so much more then the 300 and have options on good reasonably priced ammo. Don't worry too much about your mom only letting you get 1 rifle because in a few years you'll have a job and be old enough to buy whatever you want. Good luck with what ever you choose.

i'll say this, i had a tikka t3 lite lefty in 300 win mag and that sucker kicked like a friggin mule. i have had (also lefty) 340wby and 300win mags and shot 375h&h that didn't kick that much, but that tikka was lightweight. my understanding is the newer t3x is a little heavier and has a better recoil pad. maybe consider one of the winchester short mags, such as 300wsm. ballistics very close to 300 win (so less than 300 wby but absolutely suitable for everything in north america although not first choice for grizz) in a smaller form factor. ammo is prevalent which should be a decision factor and generally cheaper than wby. read up on the new tikka's, they have a 1moa guarantee and i haven't heard of any dissatisfied owners. good luck!

Well, your Mosin is so much like a 30-06 you would only gain a left handed rifle if you picked it. If you can find 130-150gr ammo, the 300 Weatherby may be just fine ( tolerable for you) w/o a brake. yes, try it first w/o one, but if you do decide to get one, do a lot of research into the "quiet" brakes. ( look like an Artillery 3 hole perpendicular to bore) the ones with holes all around are "miserable"! I shot several Hill Country whitetail with the then factory loaded Sierra 150 Pro Hunter in Federal Blue Box factory loads. This was in an unbraked 300 WinMag. Low recoil and bullets acted like Partitions! Very little if any bloodshot meat! have a ball dude!

Buy the.300 Wby and never look back. Felt recoil is increased by a persons weight not decreased a point lost on most.

Put or buy one with a Limbsaver or Pachmar pad and a good brake. I have a Weatherby Mk5 Ultralight with the factory brake and pad - this gun is light way light. It shoots lights out well into 900 yards and my 105 lb 5'3" wife shoots it with zero flinch or issues as did my 75 year old frail Dad in an Antelope two year ago. This gun has killed a bunch of mule deer , elk etc and performs awesome.

I shoot a 200 grain Nosler Accubond out of it and it will put 5 within two inches at 300 yds.

You're young enjoy recoil while you can - there is NO replacement for Displacement. You can never ever be over gunned on elk.

Don't waste money buying a gun now and another later buy one gun and a set of dies and a press and make premium ammo at home for $25.00 a box.

Hopefully he didn't drive an ocular bell thru his eye socket...;)
Only advice I could give is pay VERY close attention to eye relief when you buy a scope, you'd be surprised how much your forehead can bleed!

Last edited:
hopefully not is right,but you bring up a VERY GOOD point proper eye relief always ,and US ADULTS need to STRESS and teach it well to our youths,thks tr556

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.