300 Weatherby know how...

I have a buddy that used to outfit on the front and in the Bob Marshall. He kept good records and the average shot was 141 yards. He is retired now but another still outfits in the bob marshall. He gets very disgusted. Guys show up with all the bells and whistles. Turret scopes. Boy that will fit in a scabbard just dandy. Sad part is most cannot hit the inside of a barn. With any reasonable scope and say a 300 weatherby you can hit proficiently at 600. And 90% have no business shooting that far. 300 weatherby with 200gr Nosler partitions is a deadly customer.

Depends on the area in the Bob, everyone been a part of was in more open areas in burns and I dont think Ive seen anything under 250-300 except for lions.

The 300 Weatherby is one of the finest cartridges ever designed. I've been using one for more than 40 yrs. and have never lost an animal with it. My favorite load is 85gr. IMR 7828ssc, Fed. 215GM, Norma brass and Nosler 180gr. Partition or Accubond @ 3260fps. They both work extremely well for me. You have to play with the seating depths to get your tightest groups. Mine likes them set a little deep, very close to factory loaded Ammo. Mine is a German MkV.
My experience is almost identical to that of Bill T., only I use H 4831, Weatherby brass, Nosler and Swift bullets at about 3100 fps. The old German MkV with it's 24 inch pencil barrel has a relatively low center of gravity just forward of the action. This allows it to be carried easily on either shoulder or in a pack all day long without adversely influencing your gait. Used it successfully on deer, elk, bear, and mountain goats.

I've killed about 10 elk and 10 mule deer with 300B, it is the stainless fluted Mark V that preceded the Ultralight. Weatherby ammo is down to about $50/box, my rifle would only shoot the 180 grain Nosler Partition. I never had an elk or deer take a step after getting hit with the 300B. Accuracy went south for some reason, I sent to a well know gunsmith to accurize it, who replaced the tupperware stock with a B&C Medalist, pillar bedded it, worked on the trigger and recrowned it. It actually shot worst! It sat in my safe and then I started shooting different factory ammo to see if it shot better. I bought a box of Nosler factory 180 Accubonds and the rifle shoots great (2 bullets touching a 1 about a 1/2" from them). A bud also handloaded some 185 Bergers that shoot good. Good luck!

My favorite rifle is a 300 bee. Shoots 200gr Partitions under .5 MOA at 3031fps with a 26" tube. That combo has been good for just over 20 elk and moose.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.