Hot rod caliber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by screech, Sep 27, 2006.

1. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Hey guy's, What would be a good hot rod caliber for long range that isn't too exotic. A 7mm stw or what. It will be custom made on a remmie reciever. Will te stw have enough velocity to shoot the heavy wild cat's and the accubond out of the same barrel. Thanks guys

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I have a 7STW and really enjoy shooting and hunting with it. The only down side to the STW (IMO) is that quality brass isn't really available.

If you build a custom rifle with all the bells and whistles you may want to consider a cartridge that has readily available high quality brass.

My longest 7STW kill, which would be short range on this forum, was @ 465yds. The 162gr A-Max made a decisive kill and the shot was not all that difficult with this flat shooting set-up. I like the 7STW.

Good luck with your project

3. eshell

eshell Well-Known Member

I've got a 6.5-300 Weatherby and it's just over the top . . . too much concern with carbon build-up, powder selections too limited, always fighting extreme spreads, accelerated throat erosion . . .

When I finish off this barrel (another 500 or less), I'm going with the 7 STW myself. I think it will give me 95% of what I had with much less aggravation.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Don't know what u mean by "hotrod" but anything w/an AM behind it would surely qualify.

A bit of fire forming involved but is simple and straight forward and cases seem to be going to last a long time even w/a 140 gr bullet going at 220 Swift velocities (in a 270 AM that is)

5. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Screech, if your going to build a custom rig, I would go with a 7mm Allen Mag designed by Kirby Allen. You can get quality brass and bullets. Your quality brass selection, with 7mm STW, will not be good. Let us know what you decide.

Wildcat

6. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

What's this 7mm Allen Magnum you guys are talking about??? Is it really any good??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

SS7mm,

Most of them do pretty well!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Inside joke!

Kirby Allen(50)