"horns longer than ears"??

Litehiker

Nevada makes you choose an antelope license of either "Horns longer than ears" or "Horns shorter than ears".

Are my chances better (for meat) at applying for "Horns shorter than ears" ? i.e. Are there more younger antelopes (horns shorter...") or are the two types about equal in numbers?

Eric B.

Typically Horns shorter than ears are female hunts at least that's how it's referred to in my state

Don't know there rules but just depends on how many tags they give out for each does compared to bucks

I've never hunted Nevada but every herd of antelope in SD where I live is at least 10 to 1 no horn to horn ratio and some many more. If you are meat hunting go with the short horn tag. If you want a trophy to put on the wall and meat go for the "long horn" tag. Chances are that if you find a herd of antelope you will find both short and long horn in every herd.

If I wanted a meat "goat", I would look for the "black" cheek patch (a buck) with "horns shorter than ears"! Unless he's some sort of freak, it should be a young buck! memtb

Thanks guys. "Horns shorter than ears" it is.

Turned my mule deer license in before the season last year B/C my assigned hunt area was 3/4 burned by Nevada's two largest fires in state history. (Who says Climate Change is a hoax?)
As a result NDOW is giving me more "points" for draw preference this year.
Fingers crossed for a tag.

Eric B.

Nevada makes you choose an antelope license of either "Horns longer than ears" or "Horns shorter than ears".

Are my chances better (for meat) at applying for "Horns shorter than ears" ? i.e. Are there more younger antelopes (horns shorter...") or are the two types about equal in numbers?

Eric B.

Looking for meat, go with horns shorter than ears. Doe is plentiful and very tasty. Perhaps there are people reading this that are not aware that Doe Pronghorn also have horns.

The draw odds are not very good on a doe antelope in Nevada nor are they very good on drawing a buck tag either it depends on what season you're putting in for, the archery and muzzleloader have better odds than rifle season it is considered a trophy tag and you wouldn't believe how many people now put in for the cow elk, doe mule deer and the doe envelope tags about 5 years ago they couldn't hand them out.

Eric B.
I live in Elko Nevada and there are plenty of antelope out here. I would go for a buck, because their larger than the females. And you said your after the meat. Put in for area 6 or 7 and you won't have any problem getting it done on the first day. If you wanted you could get a real trophy. Good luck!! God bless j!

Thanks guys. "Horns shorter than ears" it is.

Turned my mule deer license in before the season last year B/C my assigned hunt area was 3/4 burned by Nevada's two largest fires in state history. (Who says Climate Change is a hoax?)
As a result NDOW is giving me more "points" for draw preference this year.
Fingers crossed for a tag.

Eric B.
Global warming is a hoax. It's called HARRP. Look it up it's in Alaska. That's way we have the chem trails. They can change the weather by super heating the Ionusfear up to 3000 degrees. Some serious stuff. Look it up it was supposed to be used for good but the military found it to be a good weapon. We were flooding the Chinese supply line with in when we were at war with them. Check it out for yourself. Hope this finds you well. God Bless!

High aurora radio research program. Was supposed to bring weather to places where they receive little to no rain, snow, ECT. Thought I'd spell it out for you all. God Bless!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.