Hornady Superformance Powder / Share Your Loads

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Any data on 375 HH and every weigh (250 , 270 , 300 ...)
Thanks
I have a little data on a 375 Ruger, but you'd need to reduce charge about 10% and for up cautiously. Actually, as I recall, I filled the case to capacity with 90 grains using a Barnes TSX 235 grain bullet. I actually needed a little more powder in the case than I could stuff. H&H will ne even more lopsided. You'd probably need flat based bullets to allow seating and will still have a compressed load. Just off the top of my head.

I have a little data on a 375 Ruger, but you'd need to reduce charge about 10% and for up cautiously. Actually, as I recall, I filled the case to capacity with 90 grains using a Barnes TSX 235 grain bullet. I actually needed a little more powder in the case than I could stuff. H&H will ne even more lopsided. You'd probably need flat based bullets to allow seating and will still have a compressed load. Just off the top of my head.
4451 Enduron would be a MUCH better option. Probably best of all would be 203B!

How temp sensitive is Superformance compared to like H4350?
Personally have not tested. I do all of my reloading for the upcoming year in the summer months and test for signs of pressure on the range. All powder is somewhat temp sensitive; some is just a little an some a whole lot. There were studies done comparing the new Enduron powders and the new Alliant powders to the old temp stable Hodgdon offerings. Hodgdon STILL has the least variation. But comparing one Hodgdon to another, I can't say without some year round experimentation.

Personally have not tested. I do all of my reloading for the upcoming year in the summer months and test for signs of pressure on the range. All powder is somewhat temp sensitive; some is just a little an some a whole lot. There were studies done comparing the new Enduron powders and the new Alliant powders to the old temp stable Hodgdon offerings. Hodgdon STILL has the least variation. But comparing one Hodgdon to another, I can't say without some year round experimentation.

I try and work up my loads in about the same temps as I will be using them (mostly). Here in the grand state of South Dakota you can be hunting one day in the 40's and couple days later in the below zero temps.

I try and work up my loads in about the same temps as I will be using them (mostly). Here in the grand state of South Dakota you can be hunting one day in the 40's and couple days later in the below zero temps.
Yes, I have a cousin who is a minister near Rapid City, and he gives an extended weather report every day. It's been BRUTAL! He said it was way colder there than in Nome on the same day a month or 2 back! OUCH!! And yes, if you have fluctuations like THAT, you'd BETTER be loading and testing at the same time as hunting! If you plan on shooting farther than 100 yds!! We don't have that much variation down here, but I call myself erring on the side of caution. Some powders (like the older Reloader powders from Alliant) can give MASSIVE variations in velocity (and therefore, pressure, one might assume) across a spectrum of ambient temps spanning 50 degrees.

Loaded 6.5 Creedmore with super formance. Using Hornady number 9 manual. I was loading for an AR10. foolishly started in the middle of the loads recommend. First time out factory loads shot great so switched to hand loads. Pierced primer next blown primer. Stopped. I emailed Hornady and they changed the loads in number 10 to lower charges. I spent a long time breaking down the original loads and dropped the load charge for another try, but have not had a chance to try them yet. Also look at the buffer and spring set up. the superformance powder looks good. lesson learned I have been starting in the middle of powder charge listing for years for bolt guns no problems. I recommend for AR s do start low on the charge. And look at the bolt weight for both AR15 and 10 spring tensions. I have not fiund any really good information on the buffer and springs in any load manuals or internet or any one else having AR10 setups. My AR10 308 functions great and no problems with AR15s 6 8, Grendel , Beowulf or 223s.

Are you using small primers? If so, switch to the CCI No. 41. Esp. if using a custom firing pin OR heavy duty firing pin spring. I had this issue with such a set up in a custom .22 caliber built on a Pierce action. Switched from my beloved CCI 450s to the #41s without any real drop-off in accuracy. Pierce had a fine firing pin. Got nice sub-1/2 MOA 5-shot groups with the 41s.

Are you using small primers? If so, switch to the CCI No. 41. Esp. if using a custom firing pin OR heavy duty firing pin spring. I had this issue with such a set up in a custom .22 caliber built on a Pierce action. Switched from my beloved CCI 450s to the #41s without any real drop-off in accuracy. Pierce had a fine firing pin. Got nice sub-1/2 MOA 5-shot groups with the 41s.
Oh, and no more pierced primers and no other signs of pressure.

I have begun some very VERY careful preliminary testing of Superformance in my new Kimber Hunter .280AI, with 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped projectiles, Hornady brass and Federal 215's. Hit an accuracy node at 60.5 and 61.0 grains with the bullets going through the same hole, velocity 3058fps and 3068fps respectively (tested at 100 metres), with the chronograph set up at 11 metres distance from muzzle as there were trees shading the chronograph 15 feet from muzzle, so maybe add an extra 15-20fps onto those figures.

No sign of any excess pressure with those loads. Recoil mild and noticed that barrel doesn't heat up like other powders, even with a skinny barrel on these Kimber Hunters.

I've been using it to load 108gr ELD - M's in my 6mm, they shoot great but my shooting spotter said he could smell something after every shot.
Then the next day when I went to clean it the muzzle break was full of that
white/green powder rust stuff.

Has anybody observed this?