Hornady custom grade dies ?

Russbouv

Hey guys. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on Hornady custom grade dies. I just picked up a set for my 22-250 and have heard some negative reviews on these dies. I know there is better out there. Wondering if I shouldn't have stuck with the RCBS.

My experience has been that the seating die is OK. Other than that, I've purchased Redding Body die's and Lee Collet dies for forming, and Forster Ultra seating dies for my better rifles.

The 100 free bullets you received made up for most of my unhappiness!.

Hey guys. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on Hornady custom grade dies. I just picked up a set for my 22-250 and have heard some negative reviews on these dies. I know there is better out there. Wondering if I shouldn't have stuck with the RCBS.

I have lots of sets of them and prefer them to RCBS.

I am a big RCBS fan and at least 40% of my dies are RCBS, But the Hornady dies have some better features and I prefer them for some of my rifles, Especially there new bushing dies.

I have other brands and like them but some are hard to get especially In a set of wild cat dies and
the Hornady custom new dimension has everything I want and need in a set of dies and they are reasonably priced.

As far as negative, the proper set up is very important and sometimes this is the problem, Not the dies.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys. I like the lock ring on the Hornady way better and will be replacing the Crappy ones on the RCBS dies. That brass set screw is useless in the RCBS dies. I'll get these figured with the proper shoulder bump and life will be good.

Putting Hornaday and RCBS in the same breath is about right. Use cheap dies and get cheap results
gary

Just a side note;

I cannot stress the importance of setting up any brand of dies properly for best results.

Over many years of re loading (Over 50) I have only found one or two sets of dies that were not to
SAMME specifications and were not usable.

Lots of beginning re loaders do not set there dies up correctly for there chamber (All chambers are/can be, slightly different so they should be adjusted for that chamber).

I read all the time about a bad chamber or set of dies and most of the time it is the die adjustment
and nothing else.

I could get into a long winded discussion about sizing and spend lots of time debating the best way to size cases. (There are many ways and philosophy's about it).

So to keep it simple, I would recommend that brass is sized only enough to chamber. Use a case that was fired in that chamber to set up your dies and adjust them only enough to chamber the round with very little effort. (There is no need to bump the shoulder unless the case does not want to chamber) Bumping the shoulder changes the head space and shortens case life if done on a regular basis.

If dies are cut to SAMME specifications, it doesn't matter what brand they are, there may be some extra features on some of the more expensive dies, but sizing will be the same if set up correctly.

The only time that I recommend a full sizing smaller than the chamber is in a Simi auto where feeding could be a problem.

As a person gets better at re loading, he can make adjustments to suit his needs as long as he understands the cause and effects of this change.

So to sum it up; keep it simple and follow the instructions that come with the dies, don't over size
if the brass will chamber easily. Proper set up is more important than the cost of the dies. Expensive or custom dies can be set up wrong and end up no better than a less expensive set, and in some cases, worse than the cheaper dies if set wrong.

Just my opinion and advice to those that are just getting into re loading.

J E CUSTOM

I use them for all my rifle reloading. I started out with RCBS and used them for a lot of years but after I bought and used the first New Dimension die set I started switching all over. I still use RCBS Carbide dies for my pistol's but they don't get as much use as the rifle dies.
I agree with JE Custom on the price and setting thenup properly. JohnnyK.

My reloading bench resembles Noah's ark when it comes to dies, Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Lee,......
I do prefer Hornady bushing dies but agree 100% that proper set for each rifle is critical and all the dies I have can be setup correctly if you take the time. I do have some dies I've put the detailed effort into exact setup and these dies are only used for one rifle and never messed with once setup. It takes time to get it right. Thus the Noah's ark comment. I have two sets in some calibers as I sometimes load for friend and my son loads, rather than going through the work to reset for my precision rifles I found it easier to have a set no one gets to mess with and a loaner set for those that just want to set down and crank out a few rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.